Registered owner insurance - StaceC
Hello

I am the registered keeper of a second car however the insurance is in my boyfriends name as he will be the driver of it. Is this ok or does the insurance have to be in my name?
Registered owner insurance - Dalglish
.. Is this ok or does the insurance have to be in my name?

>>

if the insurance company knows these facts, then it will be fine.

btw., which insurance company allowed this? (i ask only because it is hard to find such insurance online).

Registered owner insurance - Peter D
This is not the best way to insure two cars as you can only drive each others car under the Driver other Vechicles if that clause is in your policy. However, if you insure one in your name and his as a named driver and him as the main driver of the other car and you as a named driver, you can drive each others cars fully comp and in most cases, assuming you are similair ages, at no or very little extra cost. Regards Peter
Thankyou for your quick responce!
The first car is in my name and own insurance which intitles me to drive any other car third party as long as i have permission. I don't intend to use his car so that shouldn't be a problem!

Regards
Stacey
I don't intend to use his car

>>

presumably, by "his car" you mean that the car is owned by him but you are the registered keeper?

i would appreciate your response to my earlier post as to which insurance company you got the cover from, and also whether they are aware that you are the registered keeper and he is the main or only driver.

re your point "own insurance which intitles me to drive any other car third party as long as i have permission", you will find probably that it says "provided you or your spouse/partner do not own" this so called "any other car".

Yep i am the registered keeper but the car is for him!
Sorry only just responding, we are currently speaking to his insurance company which is elephant. I am not intending to be driving his car at anytime as i have my own
Well that is perfectly clear then. NOT. Why are you the keeper of his car which he owns. There is a hidden agenda here. !!! Regards Peter
Registered owner insurance - George Porge
Long story cut short, me and my other half swapped cars and our insurance co insisted that the logbooks were changed over too.

Are you going to tell thre full story of why this situation exists?
--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
.. our insurance co insisted that the logbooks were changed over too ..

which is why i aske dthe o.p. about her insurance company as it seems unusual. haaving looked at the elephant.co.uk insurance policy (page 24 of their booklet), it seems they do cater for drivers who do not own (but makes no mention of registered keeper) the car they are taking out insurance for:
www.elephant.co.uk/Policy/ELE.pdf
Endorsements
9. Note wner interest
Your car is owned by the person or organisation named against this endorsement

Registered owner insurance - George Porge
If the car was on H.P then the credit company would own the car.

--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
Registered owner insurance - No FM2R
Trying to move away from the hanging & damning squads.....

Provided that the insurer(s) are aware of all the details then you have no issue. If you are concerned, then ask for them to confirm in writing that they're ok with it.

As to why you've arranged it like this, well that would be your business.

Just a few points;

-A lot of insurers are wary of such a situation, so moving insurance to improve premiums can be a pain in the butt.
-If you live at the same address then most insurers will not care one way or the other.
-You can frequently find that you are better to insure both cars for both of you to drive since it is not only mroe convenient, it also tends to allay any suspicions
-Be careful of using DOC extensions. Its all a bit trick when you try to differentiate between owner and registered keeper and can get into the realms of material non-disclosure. If you are likely to drive both, or he is, or even if it becomes possible, then best you actually add one or other as additional drivers.
.. If you live at the same address then most insurers will not care one way or the other ..

it certainly used to be so, but unfortunately, you will be hard pushed to find these "most insurers" nowadays.
it is more likely that maybe some will not care one way or the other, but most will.

Registered owner insurance - No FM2R
You may well be right, but that would not be my subjective experience. Although you should of course tell them, rather than guess whether they care or not.
... Although you should of course tell them, rather than guess whether they care or not. ..

which is what i said in my firt post!

anyway, it looks like stacec has left the room.

After speaking to elephant it was decided that it would be best to put the insurance in my name and have him as a named driver, as it works out cheaper.

Have also added him to my existing policy so if he ever needed to use the other car that would be ok.

Ta!

Stace

Well 'I told you so' and yes it is cheaper in a lot of cases. Glad all is well. Regards Peter
Thankyou!

Regards

Stace
Registered owner insurance - holly1
My husband uses my old car on a daily basis so its insured in his name, although its still my name on the registration documents. Insurance company know this and they are not bothered, nor has it made any difference to the premium as it would be the same whether its my name or his name on the reg doc. It seemed pointless then to transfer the ownership to him as it would just mean that the car would be listed as having had 3 owners rather than 2 should we come to sell it.