307 90 HDI fuel consumption - Tony
Can anyone comment on the fuel consumption of the Peugeot 307 HDI (90).
I've done 6000 miles in mine and can't get above 45mpg. I do mainly A road/
motorway journeys outside of the rush hours, so I'm in 5th gear most of the time. Its just had its first service and the dealer couldn't offer any explanation other than to contact Peugeot if it didn't get any better.

Official fuel consumption figures are:
Urban Drive Cycle MPG 40.9
Extra Urban Drive Cycle MPG 65.7
Combined Drive Cycle MPG 54.3
Re: 307 90 HDI fuel consumption - ian (cape town)
heavy right trotter, Tony?
Does anybody else drive it regularly?
Re: 307 90 HDI fuel consumption - Richard P
It takes at least 15,000 miles for a diesel engine to properly loosen up. My TD on 25K miles is getting better all the time. Remember that with a TD you do not need to rev the nuts off it to make good progress, but holding onto higher gears at very low speeds will also not help your economy. Best not to use 5th unless you are doing at least 45mph. Keep the rev range between 1500 to about 3500 under normal driving.

Regards,

Richard
Re: 307 90 HDI fuel consumption - Steve G
If a car this size only has 90 BHP it must need a lot of right foot to keep the thing moving.
Richard makes a good point, probably will improve once the engine is run in.
Re: 307 90 HDI fuel consumption - Phil
Aaah, Diesel heathen, it is all about the torque.
Re: 307 90 HDI fuel consumption - Mike H
I agree with the other comments - I had a Saab 9-3 2.2 TiD and it took far more than 6000 miles to gice its best. The previous car was a Mondeo 2.0, and that reached its best at 10,000.

I read in the paper recently (Daily Telegraph, so it must be true :-) ) that some swedish scientists had done some tests and found that the key to good fuel consumption was to accelerate briskly through the gears to cruising speed. I tried it with the Saab and it definitely paid off - gave me an extra 2-3mpg. You might find this helps - a lot of people think slow steady acceleration must be good for economy but it isn't.
Re: 307 90 HDI fuel consumption - Marcus
I drivea 406 estate with this engine and currently do 500 - 1000 miles per week for business purposes, mainly motorways and a few cross country thrashes, the average MPG I have been getting is between 38 and 44.

I have had it 11 months and covered 35 000 miles

I guess it would improve slightly if I kept the cruising speed down a bit. However I doubt whether you would ever get the MPG over 50 - the engine certainly feels more muscular now it has a few miles under it, but in reality it struggles with a car this heavy ( 1400kg ) Your 307 is probably 200 KG lighter

Next time, providing I don't go for a VW Passat, I will go for the 2.2 HDI Fap engine, this is vastly superior at 136 BHP and attracts the same BIK tax.

Marcus