Car Tax - Chant
My friend ran out of car tax back in October. Since then his insurance has also expired. He wants to get back on the road but is afraid that they will want to crush his car if he goes to get insurance and tax. Does anyone actually know what would happen? Would he simply pay a fine to the tune of money owed since October? Or would they indeed crush his car?? Please help.
CAR TAX - robcars
as long as car was declared SORN and was kept off road he has not broken any laws. obtain insurance and go to post office who will advise what documents etc he needs.

If he has kept car on road and/or not declared SORN then the bill will be huge!
CAR TAX - Chant
What if the car was not declared SORN friend?
CAR TAX - Chant
HUGE!? Any idea just how huge?
CAR TAX - Hamsafar
If this 'friend' ahem didn't either declare SORN or TAX the vehicle, then an offence was committed which should have resulted in a fine being sent automatically to the registered keeper.
If that didn't happen then hopefully the 'friend' has got away with it?
CAR TAX - Pugugly {P}
If you mean that your friend intends to drive into town to get tax and insurance, there's a strong possibility of being nabbed, Police have the power to seize the car and keep it until all bills are settled including storage, if it isn't it'll get scrapped.
CAR TAX - bell boy
it will come to "friend ahem eventually..................it just takes time as the fine comes via local dvla office........
CAR TAX - Chant
Well the D.V.L.A has been to his old address so what will they do when they catch up with him? Will they crush his car or fine him?
CAR TAX - Pugugly {P}
Oh Dear.
CAR TAX - Chant
Well the D.V.L.A has been to his old address. What will they do when they catch up with him? Will they crush his car or fine him?
CAR TAX - robcars
Fine first.

Crush if not paid!
CAR TAX - Armitage Shanks {p}
Yes, they will crush the car or fine him/
CAR TAX - Pugugly {P}
If the DVLA have a campaign running locally (Operation Cubbit) they will probably take it from him, store it and scrap it if he doesn't pay what's owed. They generally run this with the local Police so any road traffic offences will be dealt with as well. They may just scoop it off the side of the road if they see it.
CAR TAX - Hamsafar
This friend (whoever he is) has already been fined then, but not paid it due to not notifying the change of address?
Oh dear. You will be fined at least £250 all in all I think.
CAR TAX - robcars
Not sure of figure but i seem to remember figures of well over that for a similar ofence locally.
CAR TAX - martint123
www.dvla.gov.uk/motyourpaperwork/index.htm

It is a legal requirement to notify DVLA when you change name and/or address. Failure to notify DVLA could result in a £1000 fine.
CAR TAX - Dwight Van Driver
What is involved here is the payment of a 'supplement' under RV (Reg & Lic)(Amendmentt) No 3 Regs 2003 payable on late renewal of vehicle licence where -

(a) a vehicle licence taken out for a vehicle expires,

(b) no vehicle licence was issued for the vehicle before the end of a period of one month beginning with the date of that expiry, and

(c) the registered keeper has failed to comply with requirements contained in Schedule 4.(SORN)

then DVLA can make you pay an £80 (£40 if paid earlier).

They are supposed to do a computor check once a month to weed out those who could be involved and post off to the address on their records.

Now in the poster's case I presume the vehicle is off the road so no seizure can take place. If is is ,then it should have been uplifted and maybe crushed because he hasn't notified an address where he can be contacted.

So to get back being legal. Go to PO get Form 10 and complete :

(Warning: IIRC then there will be a question as to when last Licence expired and date when new Licence required. If there is a gap it will ask whether or not the vehicle has been used on a road between these times. I have known people who tell porkies on this one which is a serious offence and can lead to a substantial fine)

take VC5, MOT and Insurance and take out an Excise Licence.

Then send a letter to DVLA notifying change of address.

If they have sent a 'supplement' charge to the old address then get it paid.

As far as I am aware DVLA do not have the power to institute proceedings themselves for failing to notify change of address. If they did then the Courts would be awash. From my days in the office of Plod it was very rare to get a prosecution for the offence unlerss accompanied by a string of offences.

dvd