MIB Victory - moonshine {P}

No it's not men in black but the motor insurers bureau. I've just read the front page article in this weeks Insurance Times which is about off road vehicles having to be insured. I know this subject has been discussed before but reading the article has made me wonder if there have been some changes as I find some of it hard to believe. A few quotes as follows to give the jist of the story:

"Off the road vehicles are currently exempt from insurance, but this will change when the road safety bill is passed creating a new offence of 'keeping a vehicle without insurance'"

"What the new law will mean is that if you have a registered vehicle then it has to be insured"

"The MIB is looking to dramatically cut the estimated £500m a year uninsured driving costs, which equates to an extra £30 on each motoring policy"

First point - Obviously any car being used on the road should be insured. But if I decide to put my into the garage for a year or two why should I have to insure it? Even if the premium was low I would see it as giving the insurance company money for nothing? Whole thing sounds like a con to me, whats wrong with using the ANPR cameras to catch those on the road? Another excuse to be sending out automated fines. How many un-insured drivers actually have the car registered in their name?

Second point - they always bang on about the 'it costs £30 per policy' etc. Do people really believe that they would reduce everyones premium by £30 - I don't think so! - more like £500m extra profit for the insurers!
MIB Victory - mss1tw
So where is the victory? Have they scrapped it or something?
MIB Victory - Dalglish
vehicles having to be insured. I know this subject has been discussed before but reading the article has made
me wonder if there have been some changes as I find some of it hard to believe. ...

>>

moonshine - i am puzzled by your above statement:
the changes you find hard to believe are precisely those that were discussed extensively here before! so why the surprise when you say you know they have been discussed here before?

MIB Victory - moonshine {P}

I think its more the way the story has been presented. It makes it sound like the law is already in place. From the previous discussions I thought you could make a declaration (like a SORN) that would not have a cost attached. I resent the idea of having to pay for insurance on a car that isn't being used. I do currently insure a car that is garaged for the winter months, the difference is that it is my choice and im not forced into it.
MIB Victory - Chris S
I wonder if the MIB donate money to New Labour?
MIB Victory - Stuartli
I wonder if the MIB donate money to New Labour?>>

Unfortunately we ALL (unvoluntarily) donate money to New Labour - bucket loads of it.

However, some of it is now about to be diverted from official ministerial cars usage to allow our President, the WW and their hangers-on to have two Blair Force Ones....:-)

Cost? About £12m a year.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
MIB Victory - bell boy
i think this law is going to have a very adverse affect on classic cars /trucks etc but if its been discussed before then it must have been before my time
MIB Victory - David Horn
If your car is stolen from your garage while insured through no fault of your own, the insurer will still cover third parties. I believe that's one of the reasons.
MIB Victory - Dalglish
but if its been discussed before then it must have been before my time ...

oldman - you were active in part of this thread:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=41927&...f

see also
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35410&...e
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=36...1
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36407&...e
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=41927&...e
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=41927&...e

MIB Victory - Dalglish
the new proposed law is:

Road Safety Bill
...... .... ...
Offence of keeping vehicle which does not meet insurance requirements
(1) In the Road Traffic Act 1988, after section 144 insert?
?144A
Offence of keeping vehicle which does not meet insurance requirements .... ... etc. etc.

MIB Victory - bell boy
thanks dalglish :( but im going to claim mitigating circumstances ive hurt myself quite badly at work today and am currently clearing the wine cellar to help the pain (whisky decanter is empty ()