Merc C180 1995 auto - Civic8
Mate has bought this car and having problems,It will start no problem and accelerates ok for about a mile.

It then hessitates, drops revs (but not stall), and will tickover fine,But will not rev up,He was told by several people except mercedes,Throttle body was the problem.

This has been replaced by a garage at cost of £500 inclusive.

Problem still exists.

Anyone any idea what the problem maybe??
--
Steve
Merc C180 1995 auto - MW
This is the problem with good guesses. You replace all the car in the end. The first jog is to find out WHY it will not work normally. I would go to a Bosch diagonstic centre. A good Bosch technician can wire it up to the computer and give a more accurate assessment, before you spend big money on another guess.
Merc C180 1995 auto - Aprilia
Could be lots of things really; ignition, fuel delivery etc. Impossible to say over the internet. Lots of places should have the diagnostics for this car - pull the codes and see what you get. Also put 4-gass analyser on it and see what it says.
Merc C180 1995 auto - ChicksFan
Sounds like a MAF problem to me. Lots of posts on

forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/

Check it out.
Thanks for the replies,and the link,I found out tonight He bought it from Auction,which explains possibly why it went to auction in the first place,though it could be coincidence.

Will try on Monday to get it to Mercedes M/D.

As a matter of interest are these worth £1500 ??,Suspect they are but in good order
--
Steve
Merc C180 1995 auto - ChicksFan
Price of £1500 seems OK but service history is very important or expensive problems can result.
If it was me and I didn't know service history I would renew all fluids, oil, coolant, brake fluid and autogearbox fluid, plus of course all filters. Important - Use the proper spec fluids. Grease the slide mechanism on that big central wiper (not the blade!) because they're expensive if they go wrong.

Looked after though these cars can last for ages and provide really pleasurable reliable motoring. I paid £2500 for my 1994 C280 about 18 months ago (with full M-BSH). Tremendous car!

Ron
Diagnostics turned up 029 lamda control lean stop\mixture too rich,as mentioned on diag slip,they want another £200 to diagnose it further.

he has refused,which I dont blame him and taken car away,Slightly lost on this car as I have never worked on one,and so far not looked at it,any suggestions as to what I could look for or do,any help appreciated one this.

Thanks in advance
--
Steve
It must have the Seimens engine management system then?

029 is mixture too rich.

Look for... Leaks on intake or exhaust. faulty injector, incorrect fuel pressure, MAP sensor fault - IIRC this will have a MAP sensor (in the ECU) and not an AFM. I would take it to an independent repairer - don't go to the main dealer - it'll end up costing you more than you paid for the car.

I think an early C180 like this will not be worth much - especially if it has fairly high miles. They are a bit sluggish and the early cars were not that well built and many suffered from rust (esp under the back) and problems with suspension arms/bushes. I buy and sell a few Mercs and have not touched an early W202 for a long time - there is no money to be made from them, the smaller engine models are not easy to sell.
Hi Aprilia,thanks again for your help,its a Bosch EMS I`m hoping to get to it tomorrow to have a look .
None of the independent garages around our way will look at it,for one reason or another,Just excuses IMO but my mate bought it for himself as he likes the motor
--
Steve
Well, if its fitten with the Bosch systems the code 029 is low current to the lambda sensor heater - nothing to do with mixture being rich.

The numbers mean different things depending on whether its a Bosch or Siemens system.

I would double check which system he has and which code was read out before taking things any further.

Can't understand why a Bosch agent wouldn't want to look at this car - they are bread and butter work.
As an update,its been checked out by Bosch agent,No fault found and they had no idea whats wrong,Possible thoughts were exhaust blocked but no signs of this.

someone mentioned it may,as it has new battery, been jump started using the battery terminals instead of +terminal on battery being used and - being connected through body/ground.I know this can work as problematic on some motors but thought this too early a car to be a prob?
--
Steve
Car was taken to a garage 15 miles away to get it looked at,It was as Aprilia said, Lamda sensor and has been replaced,engine is now running fine and my mate is very happy with its performance,So thanks Aprilia for your help.

Any one know where the flasher unit is on this car ?
--
Steve
Merc C180 1995 auto - elekie&a/c doctor
There is no "flasher unit " on this car.There is a multi-function control relay for indicators/hazards/wiper delay and hrw functions situated in the fuse box .