Ford Fiesta Zetec knocking/clunking - sweep
What's the matter? My Fiesta Zetec 2004 1.4 is making a weird noise when I go over bumps. I wouldn't describe it as a rattle or a knocking, it's more like a squishy, slight knocking noise. hmmm! It seems ok when I am driving pretty fast, it's more at speeds of around 20-30 mph. It's hard to pin down exactly where it comes from. But I feel it's the four wheels, or the back and front in general. It's a bit odd as it used to be better in the heat/dry and worse in wet, but I was out yesterday in rain and it was so annoying, but today it's been dry and almost as bad. I used to not hear it over the radio but I can now, but that's cos I'm listening I guess!

Any ideas?

Thankeeeee

If it's suspension etc do you think it will be covered by warranty, it was reg March 2004, and apparently has a 3yr warranty.
Ford Fiesta Zetec knocking/clunking - piston power
a needle in a haystack here!! why not take it to the likes of kwik-fit for a free check they will put it on the ramp and have a good look at the exhaust etc, if the find anything it may be covered by your warranty.
do you think I am better to take it to them first than the dealer? Sorry bout the haystack! I thinktoday it was def coming from under my pedals i.e at the wheel. I had a Ka once that needed new bushes or something, maybe Fords are prone to this sort of thing? It's done 26k miles btw
Ford Fiesta Zetec knocking/clunking - van man
if its that obvious it shouldn't be hard to find if it's still in warranty take it to your dealer,i do know that the front anti-roll bar bushes make terrible clunking when they are worn but at 26k????f you take it to a independant garage ask to be shown the fault so your not being taken for a ride..check what gaurantee they give also(in writing)...
took it to Kwik fit today, they looked at it, went "it looks ok". Hmmmm. Took it to Ford, the nice mechanic came out with me, heard it and went "aaah". Thinks it may be a strut(?), something to do with shock absorbers? although it's not been up on his ramp yet! but he has worked in the garage for about 100 years so I'm trusting him. He bounced the right front where the noise is worst and the car moves a lot, it kinds moves from side to side too. Then he did the passenger side and it rocks much less after bouncing on that side. But said it may also still be the anti roll bar or something, but it's under warranty! HOORAY. Does that sound logical?
Ford Fiesta Zetec knocking/clunking - Civic8
Shock absorbers are not an unusual fault,they can fail at any time,check your tyres for uneven wear on tread, usually a giveaway when tread blocks have sharp edges to front and lower than tread to back of block.
has been known for suspension problems to cause it, but less likely
--
Steve
I am not happy. I was told by the garage today my front driver's side strut needs replaced. My car is 2 years and 4 months old and has covered 28500 miles, and it's apparently NOT under warranty as they told me it was last week. Anyway, they wanted £150, which when I refused was suddenly £110, hmmmm. I have since taken it to two other garages who said the struts are fine, and no way should they need doen at that age. The car makes a clunking noise when going over bumps in the road or speed bumps etc. It's worse at low speeds. Does this sound like a strut, especially at this age/mileage or could it be something else? I am getting very stressed now cos I know sod all bout cars and I don't know what to do now.

Ford Fiesta Zetec knocking/clunking - bell boy
the piston could be slightly bent in the strut and give your symptoms,having said that to achieve this you would have had to take off on a hump back bridge or hit a speed hump/pothole pretty damm vehemently,the other garages may have just looked for weeps if your struts are oil ?i would have thought they were gas so a proper shocker test would show this up ie two recoils from being pushed down and let go maximum
the guy did say he couldn't see any leakage so i guess they must have fluid in. Just did a bounce test, and I might add, slammed the car door on my fingers which have now turned purple, while the air turned blue, not my day eh? It really doesn't seem to bounce more than twice if i bounce it in the middle. HOwever if I do right versus left, the right seems to get easier to bounce the more you do it, while the left seems more difficult. Yes, no?
Ford Fiesta Zetec knocking/clunking - ChicksFan
If it was me, with it no longer being in warranty, I'd leave it. If it develops into anything serious it'll be picked up at MOT time when the car is 3 years old.