BMW Cabrio Inner Roof Liner Tensioning - fellows
Could any member of the forum kindly recommend a good soft-top repairer in the North of England?

I have a 1997 BMW 3 series Cabriolet that has done great service over the last 9 years. I am bugged however by one problem. This related to the fixtures that secure the nylon cords at the LH and RH sides at the rear of the hood that keep the inner 'skin' of the roof in tension when the hood is up. To keep the cords in place they pass through a number of eyelets and then finally through a small opening in the form of a 'bridge' on black plates attached to the inner side of the skin (please excuse my poor description). For some reason best know to BMW the plate mechanism is made of fairly soft plastic. Over time the strong nylon cord rubs through the 'bridge' and the inner skin is no longer under tension. I jury rigged something but it has not lasted.

The BMW service agent's solution (supposedly in communication with BMW) is for the hood to be replaced!!! all for plastic plates that would cost a few pence to manufacture.

I would be delighted if there was a repairer who could fix this problem - it must have come up before. If possible could you let me know a name, address and phone number (I am working in Poland and will need to phone from here to make an appointment).

My thanks to anyone who can help.

Paul Fellows