Lowest insurance group -up to £500 spend - dodo
Right I need to park my wife's insurance for a couple of years. Would buy a small car to have about the house. Do we know what could be bought for up to £500 group One insurance?
Lowest insurance group -up to £500 spend - DavidHM
A Panda. Or failing that, something obscure, pre-1973, so there's no tax to pay and maybe no depreciation, but I've no idea what insurance groups cars like that would be.

But assuming that she's got two years' premium to pay, that amounts to say, £300. Two years' road tax = £240. Buy with 12 months' MoT and you'll only need one test - £45. £500 depreciation, potentially makes another £500 (obviously).

Total cost of keeping the policy alive - £1,085.

The NCD will live for two years anyway after the end of her last policy, which will be in 23 months' time, so why not simply buy whatever you were going to, a little bit earlier?
Lowest insurance group -up to £500 spend - blue_haddock
First thing that came to mind for me was a 900cc Fiat Cinquecento - very cheap to buy and run.
Lowest insurance group -up to £500 spend - mare
The NCD will live for two years anyway after the end
of her last policy, which will be in 23 months' time,
so why not simply buy whatever you were going to, a
little bit earlier?

Or assuming OP has a car that is insured in his own right, let wife insure his car on alternate years until you go back up to two cars?

hope i've intepreted circumstances correctly!
Lowest insurance group -up to £500 spend - dodo
Thanks - thats an excellent idea.
Lowest insurance group -up to £500 spend - MichaelR
Note that the difference between Group 1 and, say, Group 4 in terms of cost is so little its not even worth thinking about.