A question about Irish numberplates - MoodyGit
We all know that you can have a number plate from a car in Northern Ireland transfered to a mainlan vehicle but I was just browing through a website that sells regristartion makes and found a plate HI followed by a number which originated in Tipperary. How did that get into the UK system?

A quesion about Irish numberplates - Gromit {P}
Could car have been sold from Republic into Northern Ireland, and then onwards into England?

But current plate format would be, say, 99 TN 1234 (for Tipperary North Riding) or 01 TS 5678 (for South Riding) - would have thought car would simply be re-registered with an entirely new plate rather than carrying over part of its original number...
A quesion about Irish numberplates - Falkirk Bairn
It was along way to the UK

Tipperary - get it?

I'll get my coat.
A quesion about Irish numberplates - stevied
Here's another question: why are Irish truck drivers such numpties and why are their "firms" not listed on websites?

Have been cut up many times on the A41 in Shropshire, ALWAYS by Irish lorries. No plates, obscured telephone details, speed limiter seemingly removed (how does an articulated lorry do 80mph?! The mind boggles)
A quesion about Irish numberplates - massey
Maybe the just don't like to be recognised by the ever diligent speed cameras.
A quesion about Irish numberplates - Andrew-T
"speed limiter seemingly removed .."

Do Irish trucks have them? I have seen so many travelling faster than UK trucks I have assumed they didn't.
I don't think they do - but they must be fitted with tachographs. The Irish police can, and do, inspect them at random to determine whether the driver has been speeding, or driving longer than he should be without a break.

And for those who want to get in touch with a haulier's firm, the Irish Road Hauliers' Association would be a good place to start if the truck doesn't have its company's phone number posted clearly on the back - as the majority do.
A quesion about Irish numberplates - smickers
Quite simple the lorries pay less duty when they are registered in the Republic of Ireland ... so its a UK Tax dodge for many firms ... Some UK buses have NI Reg plates because they were made there and the NI Plate is the same as the bus serial No. .... As for Republic No. Plates think when the car is exported to the UK you have the choice to reregister or keep the original ...

A quesion about Irish numberplates - Tornadorot
We all know that you can have a number plate from
a car in Northern Ireland transfered to a mainlan vehicle but
I was just browing through a website that sells regristartion makes
and found a plate HI followed by a number which originated
in Tipperary. How did that get into the UK system?

Is it a particularly low number? Maybe it was first issued before the formation of the Irish Free State, and somehow remained as a UK registration thereafter?
A quesion about Irish numberplates - Aprilia
IIRC the Irish Republic used the same system as Norn Ireland until about 1987. It may date from before '87.
IH (Tipperary South) was issued up until the 1950's when AIH replaced it.

I know of one gentleman who emigrated from the Republic to Northern Ireland(UK) in the 1950's and was allowed to keep his Southern number because he was immigrating with his car.
I think this concession was allowed only for a short period.

This is one possible way this particular number finally ended up in UK

A quesion about Irish numberplates - pmh
Another question......

Why do so many coaches have what I have always regarded as NI number plates?

Is there some kind of registration advantage or just a case of being dateless and conning the passengers that the coach screaming down the motorway at 80mph in the wet is not 15 years old!
--

pmh (was peter)

A quesion about Irish numberplates - blue_haddock
Why do so many coaches have what I have always regarded
as NI number plates?
Is there some kind of registration advantage or just a case
of being dateless and conning the passengers that the coach screaming
down the motorway at 80mph in the wet is not 15
years old!
--

And the rest - i know of one well respected coach firm that uses NI plates on it's coaches - some of which are approaching 25 years old although there is little remaining of the original vehicle that has been replaced or overhauled.
Probably for the same reason a aircraft hasn't a year dating letter either.

You might not want to know the true age of a aircraft you are boarding?

A quesion about Irish numberplates - Stuartli
>>You might not want to know the true age of a aircraft you are boarding? >>

The average aircraft is better maintained that the average car...:-)

I've been on pre and early post war aircraft still being used for passenger services in South Africa and certain other countries and never had any qualms.

But I wouldn't use most Cuban, Russian or similar countries' flights.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
> Why do so many coaches have what I have always regarded as NI
> number plates?

This practice also started when the Republic introuced year/county/reg plates in January '87. Tour operators found that US visitors, in particular, took exception to travelling in last year's model of coach - which they could tell instantly from the reg plate.

Solution: the tour operator establishes a new company in Northern Ireland or Wales, sells his fleet to this company and re-registers them. The next planeload of visitors are met by a shiny freshly-valeted coach and think nothing of, say, the X reg on it - whereas had it been 01 D there'd have been howls of protest!
A quesion about Irish numberplates - MoodyGit
Getting back on topic, the plate is
HI 4572

www.carreg.co.uk/number_plates/search/HI

I suspect it was first issued pre 1954...
I agree. Might be late 1940,s
A quesion about Irish numberplates - Union Jack
FWIW RAC Vehicle Data Search suggests that HI 4572 was last on a *very* early Ford hearse.

Certainly not cheap at "3000 grand" = £3M .....

Jack
Sorry I meant to type 3 grand (£3000)
Still how in heavens name is this number perceived to be worth this much??
Priced at over 3000 grand.

a lot of money for, can't see the value or potential value

maybe just rarity??
A quesion about Irish numberplates - local yokel
You can check full ownership and age data on all UK (G-****) aircraft here:

tinyurl.com/9jsz2 (CAA database)
HI 4572
Date of 1st Registration

17th October 1946
A quesion about Irish numberplates - trancer
"Tour operators found that US visitors, in particular, took exception to travelling in last year's model of coach - which they could tell instantly from the reg plate."

I find that hard to believe as the USA does not use date specific number plates and the average American wouldn't know that the UK does.

From the American expat forums I frequent, very few Americans moving here are even aware of dated number plates until they go to buy their first car etc, so I find it highly unlikely that a tourist who has even less reason to learn about UK motoring intricacies would know about it.

On another note, Artics will do 80MPH easy and on a flat road get well past 100MPH. Don't worry it wasn't on UK roads so don't jump down my throat 8-).
Agreed - but it was clear as day when, in 1988, the aforementioned tourists boarded an Irish-registered coach bearing an 87 plate.

Likewise, it was because the visitors wouldn't know the difference between, say, E, F and G reg that the coaches were re-registered in the UK. That, and the lower road taxes, of course!