Audi A4 - Headlight Bulb - Dulwich Estate
My offside headlight bulb died last night and I need to fit a new (normal) one. The handbook tells me I need a qualified mechanic to undertake this difficult and dangerous job.

As you can imagine I don't really want to spend much so how easy is it as a DIY job and has anybody done it?
Audi A4 - Headlight Bulb - AlanGowdy
Don't want to put you off but a friend with an Audi took it to the garage to have headlight bulb replaced and the process involved unbolting the front bumper. Ended up costing more than an oil change.

I think it's a disgrace worthy of an investigation. I suggested as much to Auto Express and they did not even bother to reply.

Must cancel my subscription.
Audi A4 - Headlight Bulb - Xileno {P}
I agree it's a disgrace. However, Audi are not alone in this.
Audi A4 - Headlight Bulb - P 2501
I think on the A4 the front bumper must come off, radiator out and front sub frame dropped. Then its just a simple matter of lifting the engine out of the car by a foot or so.

The rest is childs play.
Audi A4 - Headlight Bulb - elekie&a/c doctor
If your A4 is the facelift model (with the projector type lens) then the headlamp can be unbolted from the front panel & slid forward without disturbing the bumper to make access to the bulb easier.If I remember correctly 2 or 3 torx screws.
Audi A4 - Headlight Bulb - rtj70
Once had the previous model A4 as replacement/temp company car. Popped into the Audi dealership for a bulb and they said it needed to go into the workshop. It took about an hour to replace the bulb! Thankfully they didn't charge anything at all.

But I assume the new A4 will be similar...
Thanks for the depressing replies to date. It's a 54 reg, September 04, so not the latest model. Depending on the advice given in any more responses I suppose it's off to the dealer or maybe an independent.

I don't suppose there's any chance of a warranty replacement at 18 months old?

Will I buy an Audi next time? I'm really not so sure.
Audi A4 - Headlight Bulb - trancer
Co-worker has an '02 reg which should be the same as yours and he had to give it to the dealer too despite being a very capable DIYer. They only charged him £20 including the bulb, but not before he put up a fight. I think they originally wanted £35.

He even talked them into letting him in the workshop to watch the tech do it as he wasn't going to pay to have it done again.
Thanks for the replies. Good news (??) The headlight has fixed itself.

Perhaps due to the fact that the London Boroughs of Lewisham and Southwark have more road humps per mile than anywhere on the planet has helped. My car has been bumped about a fair bit today - the light's back on now! It's obviously a loose connection somewhere - I'll see what happens over the next few days.

Did the hump bumping cause it to die in the first place?
Audi A4 - Headlight Bulb - rtj70
If it's a loose connection, then surely can have it looked at under warranty ;-)