52-plate Audi A4 - ESP fault? - Group B
My Dad has an A4 TDi which has started displaying the warning light for the ESP being disabled, and pressing the button on the dash has no effect. It seems to come on a few minutes after starting the engine, and then stays on; if the engine is stopped and restarted the light doesnt come on again until after another few minutes.

Could anyone please advise what could be causing this? Could it just be a dirty sensor or something more serious? He has just recently paid £850 for a main dealer service including new discs and pads front and rear. Could it be something they have missed or disturbed in doing the work, and should therefore sort out for free?
I know the best way is to get it plugged into diagnostics to check it out, but can anyone hazard a guess so he's better informed when he takes it in? The thought of getting landed with another big bill is putting him off getting it looked at.

Many thanks,

Rich.
52-plate Audi A4 - ESP fault? - Roly93
It is very suspicious that this has happened after the discs/brakes have been worked on as it may be tied in with the ABS rotation sensors on one of the wheels. I would therefore point the finger in this area, especially as he has paid this, frankly huge sum of money for a service and brake work. Out of interest did this £850 also include a cam-belt change or was it just the service and brakes ?
Service was in early December I think, it was £550 for the brakes and £300 for the rest of the service, not including a cam belt. I mentioned it in this other thread www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=38...8 . I know it sounds like he had his leg lifted but he's always so busy at work, he doesnt give much thought to anything else. (More fool him, yes I know).

Due to the mickey-take last time, my thoughts were to stay well clear of the main dealer. But i'm now thinking he should take it back there and demand it is sorted for free, and complain to Audi UK if they try it on.

The same fault occurred on a Golf company car my girlfriend used to have. But she cant remember what it was as she didnt have to pay for it; I dont recall her saying it was anything major though.
52-plate Audi A4 - ESP fault? - TomDoc
This car must be a good age or excessively high mileage for disks to need replaced on front and rear, would this be the case?

The switch on the dash is to switch off the ESP, which will illuminate the light on the clocks, so it won?t help by pressing it.

The light only coming on after a few minutes would indicate a problem, but how long after the work in December did this fault start to occur?

I would agree that you paid over the odds for the service. VW take £170 for a Passat service and the front pads are £48 at cost plus fitting.
Tom
52-plate Audi A4 - ESP fault? - cheddar
Well the OP says it is a 52 plate and 50 to 60K is not too bad for the front discs on a modern car.
Ops missed that one!!!! Sorry
Guessed the mileage might not have been that bad, so at 60K I am even more surprised that the back disks needing replaced.
How long after the service did this fault occur?
52-plate Audi A4 - ESP fault? - cheddar
Sorry, I dont know that it is 60k I am simply saying that 60K is not too bad for the front discs on a modern car.
Correct cheddar its done just over 60k miles.
I've quizzed my Dad on it in more detail. The ESP light started coming on about six weeks after the service; infrequently at first then getting more and more frequent.
But, lo and behold, he says it didnt come on at all yesterday and it hasnt this morning! Last week he wanted to get it sorted but now he just wants to play it by ear and see if it worsens again or goes away...

Cheers,

Rich.
I would think that a fault developing six weeks after work being done might be questioned by the dealer.
I agree with you Rich, a diagnostics is going to be the best option on this one as there are so many possibilities that would cause this problem ranging from the steering wheel position sensor to the individual wheel sensors and then the ABS pump. To start guessing and replacing parts would be far to costly.
Sorry cant be more helpfull this time.
Tom
I need to pay more attention to the OP Cheddar.
I didn't notice it was you I thought it was Rich who was posting and could not understand why he didn't know the mileage. Thanks for keeping me right.
Tom