Bought a shocker ! Advice please.... - Nick__
Hi All,

My parents recently bought a car from a Chrysler Jeep main dealer, its a year or two old.

Within a week, it had broken down. They supplied a courtesy car and collected the jeep and repaired it. It turned out to be the flywheel, apparently, but the car was returned in working order.

They received a call today from the garage the dealership sent the car to, saying that the car had previously been written off and therefore the warranty was invalid. The explanation given was that the car had been, along with a number of others, exposed to Hurricane like conditions at some point, written off and returned to America.

It would appear the cars were returned to the UK, tidied up and resold. Dad said when looking at the car, he has now found some bolts, and specifically the accelerator and brake pedals to have some rust on them.

He has the Director of the dealership calling him back in the morning, and he's obviously very worried/angry in equal measure.

Any thoughts on his legal rights to return the car?

Thanks
Nick
Bought a shocker ! Advice please.... - BobbyG
Not sure of his legal rights but pretty sure that Chrysler / Jeep would not want this story getting out so would be quite willing to arrange for it to be swapped for a comparable Jeep?
Thats what I suggested to him, and I think he did the right thing by asking someone of substantial standing within the dealership to get in touch.

Hopefully this is where paying a bit more for buying through a main dealer works in his favour.

Cheers for the comment
Nick
Bought a shocker ! Advice please.... - Avant
He should be covered by the Sale of Goods Act - the car was clearly not of 'satisfactory quality' when he took delivery.

Agreed, the dealer and / or Chrysler should want this kept quiet and out of court: but if the worst came to the worst, almost certainly a court would rule in favour of the buyer.
Bought a shocker ! Advice please.... - Pugugly {P}
Any settlement may have a "keep your mouth shut" clause, I would suggest "hiding" this thread until the matter is sorted.
Could someone with the relevant rights please edit out the manufacturers name from the posts here if that is appropriate?

Thanks
Nick
Thanks HJ and everyone for the advice, will update this thread when I find out how they get on

Nick
Bought a shocker ! Advice please.... - Mapmaker
If I read your first post aright, the main dealer was unaware that the car was a write off. If I were the main dealer, I should be furious with my supplier.

As ever, the best approach is to be as charming as you can; sympathise with the dealer; hope for lots of freebies on the replacement car in order to keep mouth shut!