Setting cables into plaster - daveyjp
I don't quite understand what 'plastic sleeve' you mean, but nails are usually used. Clout nails will do the trick.
Setting cables into plaster - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
There are three methods of shielding the cables in the wall that I know of:-
Oval plastic trunking
Plastic strips with a 'top hat' profile
Metal strips with the 'top hat' profile
All are secured with galvanised clout nails, one either side, so the large heads hold the strip protecting the cable below plaster level.
Personally I prefer the metal because a masonary drill won't go through it if someone tries some DIY....

Simon
Setting cables into plaster - Martin Devon
There are three methods of shielding the cables in the wall
that I know of:-
Oval plastic trunking
Plastic strips with a 'top hat' profile
Metal strips with the 'top hat' profile
All are secured with galvanised clout nails, one either side, so
the large heads hold the strip protecting the cable below plaster
level.
Personally I prefer the metal because a masonary drill won't go
through it if someone tries some DIY....
Simon

Yes yes and yes. An SDS drill bit WILL go through it all the time. DON'T GIVE THIS ADVICE IF YOU DON'T KNOW PLEASE.

VBR..........MD
Setting cables into plaster - Mapmaker
Thanks. 'plastic sleeve' - plastic conduit.

So, what is the trick for getting the clout nails through the conduit without hitting the wires?
Setting cables into plaster - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
The trick is not to go through the conduit, but nail on either side, so the shaft of the nail touches the outer wall. Do this every 18 inches or so (1/2 a metre if you are a metric type).
Don't be afraid to angle the nails slightly if you need to, but the ridges at the head end of the shaft help the grip too.
The large head of the clout nail should then hold it firmly enough for your plasterer to skim over the top.
Simon

Thanks for explaining that twice to me - my question was not actually in response to your very clear first post. Should have thought of that myself...
Setting cables into plaster - Dulwich Estate
Another tip - it would be good if the new (to be hidden) conduit was set vertically and not at an angle. Most builders, well us anyway, make a reasonable assumption when carrying out any repairs or plaster stripping (or even if hanging pictures) that cables run vertically or horizontally. We take care in any event, but this is a starting point for us.
Thanks DE. I was actually under the impression that a requirement of the relevant building regs was that the wires must run vertically - not horizontally, and certainly not diagonally.

Setting cables into plaster - Stargazer {P}
Another tip - it would be good if the new (to
be hidden) conduit was set vertically and not at an angle.
Most builders, well us anyway, make a reasonable assumption when carrying
out any repairs or plaster stripping (or even if hanging pictures)
that cables run vertically or horizontally. We take care in any
event, but this is a starting point for us.

Further to the above, it is a requirement for cables to run either verically or horizontally to a visble electrical fitting, unless more than 50mm deep inside the wall. If no electrical fitting (switch etc) visible then cabling should be withn the allowed zones (150mm or corner, ceiling etc I think) and not just cross a wall with no visible evidence.

StarGazer