New car warranties - Dave N
I'm looking at buying a Hyundai (I know!)because of the mileage I do and the 5 year warranty.

Their servicing is pretty expensive, so is there any reason I can't do it myself, (except the belt change)?

I spoke to them, and they mention taking it to a VAT registered garage for the servicing. Their theory being that a VAT registered place is 'qualified and competent'. Since when has VAT registration been a benchmark for quality and competence in car servicing?

I had a look at the various government web sites, and nowhere does it mention VAT registration, merely a garage, but nothing about DIY.

So what's to stop me buying everything from the dealer, like oil, filters etc. and doing it myself?

They also said if something happens like an engine blow up, it's up to the dealer to decide the cause. Since when did dealers become experts in things like oil degradation and metalurgy, in order to determine why a main bearing has picked up, for instance?
New car warranties - Collos25
If you are not vat registered these days then the Garage would be pretty small and not have the proper service tools iecomputer programs,also if you are vat registered then you can claim it back.Have you thought about looking at the offer on Kias at the moment they are the same cars different badges.At 7000 grand for saloon you could through it away after 5 years
New car warranties - bell boy
please bear in mind that parts for hyundais are quite expensive in relation to other makes i was unable to source a wheel bearing last year due to the diameter being 23 1/2 millimeters no bearing dealer of which thankfully there are still a few around could source me an alternative so i had to pay £110 one for a fiesta is a £10 on a similar note i bought a headlight for a hyundai common model and the price was £125 again a corsa similar type car £36 from dealers

\"a little man in a big world/\"
In theory most things should be covered by warranty, although I know some of the service items are pricey too.

Just because a garage is small, doesn't mean they aren't competent. But as I was going to do it myself, and I'm VAT registered, that must mean I'm an expert!

I see the KIA opposite, but I need a largish 4X4, and the cheapest with an auto box is the Terracan.
New car warranties - PhilDews
Ah, Dave, the magic word - TERRACAN

I bought one of these, a 2004 manual in July last year. cracking motor, I get it serviced at a local independent - £120 for a main service, using genuine hyundai parts.

Plus points - its huge(especially in the rear), seats are comfy, will go anywhere, not bad on fuel,

Negatives - known problem with the limited slip differential, zero image

I often visit building sites in my work as a buyer for a housebuilder, and its great for that.

Have a look at forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?showforum=47 to see what our ozzie friends think of it!
Hi Phil, I tried one today, and thought it was pretty good really. Like you say, no image, but I don't care about that much. The front dampers felt like they'd done about 100k, but that's easily fixed. They've just upped the power to 160bhp as well.

I just need a reasonable rugged 4X4 that isn't going to break the bank (they're £17300 for an Auto from Broadspeed)and I'll do about 175K miles in 5 years. It will need a set of off road tyres, and maybe a little suspension lift to get me where I'm going, take out the rear seats for my bits and pieces, and I'll be away. I was just a little surprised at the servicing costs, although I realise they have to get the money back from somewhere, plus it's every 10K miles. I think they quoted something like £270, £400, £220, £510, £220, £720 etc, which is pretty steep. Non of it's rocket science, so may as well do it myself for the cost of the parts.

Wasn't the rear diff problem just the wrong oil being used? Shows how good their dealers are if they don't realise that LSD's require LSD oil, I mean that's kind of basic stuff, bit like auto's use ATF.

Have you got cruise control on yours? It's only available as a dealer fit, and they want a mere £675 for it, so I'm trying to see if the kit can be got from anywhere else.
New car warranties - carl_a
I would shop around Dave N, I'm sure you will be able to find the servicing and cruise control cheaper at another franchise.
New car warranties - PhilDews
Mine is the 148bhp model. no cruise control, never really found it worthwhile on british roads! As for £675 - this seems way too high.

the rear diff was the oil, but they still don't seem to have solved it completely.

I've found having it serviced at an independent much better although I was only quoted £180 at a hyundai main dealer.

Where abouts in the UK are you?
I'm in West Sussex.

I've studied the various government 'help' sites like OFT Consumer Direct etc, and it's pretty clear that the servicing simply has to be carried out to the manufacturers spec and using parts of a similar quality. The manufacturers can't specify who does the work, simply that they can't insist on them doing it. There's no mention of VAT registration rubbish.

They also offer a corrosion warranty, but subject to inspections at 12 & 36 months, but must be carried out by them. Surely this comes under the same rules. Not that I will care anyway, as I'm only going to contract hire it, so don't care if it's full of rust anyway.

Maybe dealers differ on the cruise, but the one they use is fixed to the steering wheel, which is nicer to use than having the stalk fixed to the column. I've seen some other aftermarket ones, just need to pick the correct one to plug in as it has no throttle cable.

If you're intersted, the contract hire company wanted another £140 + VAT/month for the maintenance package.

New car warranties - Altea Ego
HAve you checked to see if the Contract Hire company have any specification re servicing? I bet you will find they insist on it and there is no EEC rules to say they cant!

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
That's a good point, I'll check it out.

Although they're not responsible for any bills, it shouldn't really make any difference, except possibly to the resale value for them. Not that a 4 year old Hyundai with 140K miles will be worth much either way! Of course, it doesn't stop them insisting on something.

Maybe I'll have to get out my John Bull printing kit.
New car warranties - blue_haddock
>>it shouldn't really make
any difference, except possibly to the resale value for them. Not
that a 4 year old Hyundai with 140K miles will be
worth much either way! Of course, it doesn't stop them insisting
on something.

The T&C's of the contract will state that the vehicle should be maintained in accordance with the manufacturers schedule and when determining the residual value of the vehicle they will presume the car will have a fully stamped service history.

If you were to speak to the leasing company and explain the situation they would probably lower the RV and as a result increase the monthly rental.
New car warranties - T Lucas
I think that if you do your own servicing,no matter how well you do it and then have to make a claim on the warranty,be prepared to have to jump through some very large hoops,i am sure they will not make it easy.
New car warranties - pmh
Nobody has asked the question about how you get the servicing information and the updates (= technical bulletins or similar) issued by the manufacturer. Surely this will be prerequisite if you are to maintain to the manufacturers specifications.

Approach the UK consessionaires and see what answer you get!!! The only way maybe if there is a UK owners club with a friendly dealer who contributes.

Do any of the (non)restriction legislation sites indicate if the manufacturers have to make this info available at (low?) cost?

--

pmh (was peter)

New car warranties - storme
surely if u do your own servicing the warranty is worth zilch...they would laugh you out of the dealership if you tried to make any sort of claim......
if you cant afford the servicing then change your tact....

look at the dealership's service charges then buy the vehicle from there...
my bmw is only £315 for its biggest service.....or failing that why not investigate service charges in france...just across the ferry..
thay are usually much cheaper and from a dealer

--
www.storme.co.uk
New car warranties - Happy Blue!
I fail to see the problem. The car is big, heavy and diesel. You want to do over 35,000 miles a year and go off road. I would want my car looked at by a professional and local dealer fairly frequently, for that sort of use.

The five year warranty is worth a lot, so why service yourself, and waste it?

I have three years or 30,000 miles free servicing on our Trajet. So far no problems or warranty needs.

Try buying from BCC in Bury (Lancs) and see if you can find a better deal. They used to do very good internet deals on Hyundai. They also do Kia - so what about a Sorento?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
New car warranties - Number_Cruncher
>>The five year warranty is worth a lot, so why service yourself, and waste it?

Yes, but I don't think it is worth the price that Dave N would have to pay to service the car for 140K miles.

If the car were mine, I might consider allowing the dealer to service the car for the first year, thus allowing any "childhood diseases" to be dealt with under the warranty.

Then after a year, I would begin doing the servicing work myself.

Number_Cruncher
I looked at a Sorento, but it's a bit small, and no 5 year warranty.

For what it's worth, I'm more than qualified to carry out routine servicing, and I can guarantee it will be done more often, and to a higher standard than the dealer. Have you seen some of the guys they have at the dealers? Have you read some of the posts on here about shoddy workmanship?

The total cost of dealer servicing assuming 140K miles, would be just short of £7500. I don't know about others, but that's a lot of money I would rather have in my own pocket. Hell, it would even cover some (or a lot) warranty items should they fail to honour it. I have a friend who serviced his own X trail, then the timing chain snapped. Of course the dealer gave the usual about possibly incorrect servicing, wrong oil etc. and refused to warranty it. So he paid the dealer to repair, then went straight to the small claims court, produced the reciepts for all the parts, including oil that he bought from the dealers, produced the old filters and the dealer checksheet that he'd filled in with what he'd done and when. He also produced the service bulletins about chain tensioner issues other owners had had. Needless to say they paid up.

I also have access to the Hyundai Hi-Scan diagnostic software, though if it got to that it would be back at the dealer.

The ruling states that manufacturers have to give you access to the information at a reasonable cost. Incidently, the Kia web site tells you where to purchase the service manuals and diagnostic kit. But don't forget, this isn't some super modern can-bus multiplex wired vehicle, with computers busy talking to each other. It's an old shogun underneath, but with an electronically controlled mitsubishi gearbox, and a VM diesel engine with delphi injection. When you open the door, it doesn't prime the glow plugs or start the fuel pump running. The central locking doesn't lock the doors at 30mph, and it doesn't monitor tyre pressures or brake pad wear. No electric handbrake, air suspension, variable rate power steering, auto wipers, auto lights, sat nav, engine pre-heater or even an electric cooling fan!