SORN & poss £5000 fine. - Paul531
Hi all,

My tax and MOT expired at the end of Dec, so as I do not need the car, I applied for a SORN and parked it off road. I will not need my {2nd} car for a month or two.

The SORN came back with a warning of a £5000 fine if I use the car on the public highway.

Yet, in my local paper each week, there are details of court cases where people with no TAX, insurance or MoT have been fined a pittance {no where near £5000} ? indeed often less than the cost of the tax, MoT and insurance. Some have run their cars like this for years.

A car thief, if caught, certainly has no insurance and one could argue no tax, as they have not paid for it, nor MoT as they have not paid for the maintenance and MoT.

Then, why are the courts so soft on these people, yet come down like at ton {or tonne ? don?t want to be the next metric martyr} of bricks on the average law abiding member of the public and its makes no difference, Labour or Conservative, it?s always been this way.

Surely knicking someone's car is anti-social behaviour, but the government, the courts, etc., take such soft action that there is no effective deterrent. The poor victim will loose his/her no claims, costing him/her more in insurance costs over the next 3, 4 or 5, years than the thief is fined and in most cases, the thief does not pay anyway.

Yet if a pensioner {on an inflation linked pension} refuses to pay the above inflation rises in their Poll tax they are locked up!

The state, courts, government are nothing short of bullies, going, all the time going for the soft targets, the defenceless law abiding public.

Politicians, of all colours, are so pathetic, indeed totally impotent, all talk, no action {against the criminals that is}.

Paul {Forest of Bowland}
SORN & poss £5000 fine. - MrP0ny
8< snip 8<

See www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33415&...e

for the reason why. DD
SORN & poss £5000 fine. - Collos25
Or you could obey the law,just because somebody gets of lightly for an offence does not mske the law bad only the people who prescibe the punishment.it is no good fining someone £1000 if they are on benifits and there is absolutely no chance you will ever ger the money.