Peugeot 306 1.6 radiator fan always on - tyneview
Arrived back at car to find battery flat due to radiator fan running all the time. After recharging battery and starting the engine the fan stops, but when the ignition is switched off the fan still runs fast. The fan stops when the ignition is in the on position. The keypad immobiliser doesn't require a code to start the car. Also the coolant temperature, brake, and oil pressure lights are on dimmly, when the ignition key is turned to off, or key is out. Also sometimes when I turn the engine off it runs for a up to 30 seconds. The car runs OK with no other problems. Has anyone any idea what could be the problem.
Peugeot 306 1.6 radiator fan always on - Screwloose
tyneview

There's a load of different control systems for the fans on these; depending, in large part, on year and type of air-con.

By the sound of yours, you'll have a control unit full of water [under N/S wing] or seriously corroded in-line joints/relays or bad earths.

Start at the fans and follow the wiring back to the unit under the wing until you find some crumble somewhere.
Many thanks for your reply I will check these things out, and let you know how I get on.
Screwloose

Many thanks for your help, I checked as you mentioned and found that when the connector on the side of the radiator at the bottom left was moved the fan could be made to stop and start. I deceided to try and pull the connector apart in order to check for corrosion but couldn't, and didn't want to use too much force. There is serrated collar around the connector that looks as though it has to be rotated in order to allow the connector to be pulled apoart. Is this correct or can the plug be pulled out, it is really tight though. Any help very much appreciated.
Regards tyneview
tyneview

That in-line joint was always going to be one likely candidate. There's two slightly different connectors depending on whether it's a Sylea or a Labauto loom. They're both rotary release and it can be a bit of a struggle if it's full of road grit; but as you turn the centre ring it should push itself apart.

If the terminals have disintegrated, you may have to consider cutting off the connector and heatshrink-and-soldering each circuit together.
Screwloose

Many thanks, for your help, I will have another go and try and get the connector appart now that I know that it is rotary release.
Regards
tyneview

Screwloose

Many thanks for your help, managed to fix the problem, it was the connector on the bottom left of the radiator. When we managed to unplug the connector there was corrosion on two of the pins, one of which was left in the other part of the connector i.e. it was broken. We located the lead that was connected to this pin it was the thick grey one. Bridged the connector with a short jumper lead, cleaned the other pin as it was not too bad at all. Now fan working fine and cutting in at the normal temperature. Thanks again for your help it is very much appreciated by my Son and me.
tyneview

Glad to have helped. Thanks for coming back with the outcome; always nice to know what it was.