Write off value advice & what new car? - loopyjen
I had an accident a couple of weeks ago where the other party didnt stop at his red light, claims he didn't see it, and went straight into my drivers side of the car, as I was turning right when the light was on green. He's to blame, admitted fault to the Police etc. so all that it straight forward.

Got a call from the insurance assessor today who confirmed the car is a write off. I knew it would be. If it wasnt before the fire brigade cut me and my mum out of it it definately was afterwards.

The insurance assessor has said that I can only get £495 for my car. It was/is a 1995 M Reg Ford Fiesta Sapphire. 1.1 engine with 45,500 on the clock. I bought it for £995 a year and a half ago and was hoping for about £600 for it, after all I now have to find a new car when I wasnt particularly looking for one. I think I'm entitled to ask for more for it but would like some further advice. I've looked on around and found that similar cars with similar mileage are going for upwards of £600 with some being sold for £900 so I dont think that £495 is enough for my car. I definately wouldn't have sold it for that much and therefore don't see why I should accept such a low figure purely because some idiot didn't stop or see a red light.

Am I being silly by asking for more? Should I accept the first offer from the insurance company?

Also, I now have to look for a new car. I really only need it to get me to work and back and rarely do more than 15 miles a day. Saying that I don't want the equivalent to a lawn mower and would like something with a little power etc for times when I do need to go further. I've been looking at the Mark 4 Fiesta, about a 1998 or 1999 plate really, with the 1.25 engine as from what I can gather the 1.3 engine of this age is having some problems. I also like the Renault Clio of about the same age but would like the RT model as it has a higher spec but there arent many of them around that I can afford. I've considered the Seat Ibiza of the same age and although I like the look of it I don't have a clue about them. I only have around £1500 to maximum of £2000 to spend and am after some advice on what is the best small used car for this money. I dont really want anything earlier than 1998 if I can help it. After all it will be my 3rd car so I think I should be entitled to spoil myself with something a bit newer by now.

Any advice greatly recieved!
Write off value advice & what new car? - StevieC
Jen,

Dont whatever you do accept the first offer,as you have already carried out some research, use that and send it to the insurance co, also make sure to find cars that are as close to yrs as poss. Only send em the dearer ones as u can bet yr bottom dollar, they have given u their bottom price.

on the next car q, if u have someone who nows summat about cars, you want to have a look on ebay, if u r careful there are some really good sellers on there
for "nows" read Knows.............dohhhhhhhhhhhh
Write off value advice & what new car? - tyro
When our Ford Fiesta was written off 4 years back, I accepted the first figure the insurance company offered. I wondered afterward, however, whether they were expecting me to do so. The way the gent from the insurance company spoke on the telephone was not exactly "take it or leave it." Indeed he sounded as if he was open to suggestions. I don't know, but if you asked for £100 or £150 more, I doubt they'd argue much.

(That said, £495 does not sound unreasonable to me.)
Another thing to remember is, that if your car has FSH copy it (not the originals)and send em that as well, if it has, stick to yr guns and I think you should get around 7 to 8....... but u have to be firm
Write off value advice & what new car? - Mapmaker
£495 would not be unreasonable - in fact it might be generous - if you had written off the car & were claiming against your own insurance company.

But for a payment by a third party's ins co it sounds pretty miserable.

Plenty of people on this site have reportedly managed to claim replacement retail cost, rather than trade-in value when their car has been written off in a no-fault-to-them accident.

I guess you should be looking for about £1,000. There is no way that a (with no disrespect to your car) 10 year old car (that has presumably been well maintained) has depreciated by 50% over 18 months.

Have a good search on autotrader and find some equivalent cars that are for sale at around £1k. Don't bother looking at the private sale cars.

Write off value advice & what new car? - cjehuk
Don't take the first offer. When I had my car written off (ok by me!!!) three years ago my insurance company first offered me £4k for it. I negotiated them up to £4800 (book price for the car was £5200) before I settled. I don't see why you should accept such a low offer. I'd try for £750 and expect to get £650 at least.

Car wise of the three you are looking at I found the Ibiza quite hard riding and the Fiesta the nicest to drive, the Renault was ok but really tiny in the back. I'd look for a 1.25 Fiesta. The 1.3 is old tech engine and so a bit lacking in punch.

Good luck with insurance company
Write off value advice & what new car? - Dalglish
Any advice greatly recieved!

>>

first read:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=30...1

then if you have any questions not answered there, come back and seek furhter advice.

>> Any advice greatly recieved!
>>
first read:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=30...1
then if you have any questions not answered there, come back
and seek furhter advice.
How do u know she has not already done that??? why be so terse with someone who has asked a motoring related q on a motoring forum?
How do u know she has not already done that???

>>

self explanatory.

....... first read: ....... etc.

>>

and in case that is not sufficient:

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombuds...m
Write off value advice & what new car? - madf
>loopyjen

As said, haggle. Insurance companies EXPECT it. They offer low to begin with.. Go to Autotrader and search for a car of the age and spec you had.. and find prices. Copy and paste to a Word document all those with prices within £100 of your car cost. Print it out. (National search) Ignore all those lower priced.

Look at the local free car apapers.. ditto. There is your pricing evidence. The insurance company will EXPECT you to do this..

As far as buying another car, it's winter and you have cash. No-one is buying just now and you are. So you are in a STRONG buying position and on a car advertised at £2250 you should haggle down by at least £250. If you start with an offer of £1700 for a suitable car you should settle under £2k.

Choice of car? Do a search on Autotrader from £1750 to $2500 for cars with say under 40k miles..and say up to 7 ? years old. You might be surprised at what you can find. As long as you have a list of possible cars you may be better buying the best car of the size you want for your money rather than sticking with just one model.. but that's up to you.

Read the "how to buy a car" guide from this site .. and the model by model guides.. and you have 90% of the work done.. Oh and do ensure you HPI any purchase.. and ensure the seller pays :-)
madf
Write off value advice & what new car? - Mapmaker
>>and in case that is not sufficient:

>>www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombuds...n-
>>news/22/issue-22-motorinsurance.htm

To be fair that is not terribly helpful. There is no example there that hinges on the car's having been written off by a third party.
To be fair that is not terribly helpful. There is no example
there that hinges on the car's having been written off by a
third party.

>>

mapmaker - i have given sources of information that hopefully will help to reach a satisfactory valuation. but to answer your specific point, let me ask you "why should the value of a car change becuase it was written off by a third party ? ".

a car's real value is a real value is a real value. couldn't give a castlemain as to how it got written off.

Write off value advice & what new car? - mikeyb
The whole point of insurnace in these situations is that they return you back to the same point you were in before the accident. They have an obligation to provide you with a setlement that will allow you to replace the car from a retail outlet with an equivilent to the one you lost.

I would suggest (as others have) that you go through the local paper and find some examples at local dealers of your model and mileage and send them to the insurance company asking them to provide you with amore realistic setlement.
Write off value advice & what new car? - bell boy
i sold a 2 owner fiesta 45,ooo mile L reg just before xmas for £695 i thought it was worth more to be honest and as such i think this car is worth more than a derisery £495 as this will just buy scrap but with an mot.
Write off value advice & what new car? - Navara Van man
Definately negotiate and If poss fax details of similar spec fiestas going for higher price and use this as leveradge. All my car purchases have been large sallons so canot advise on this aspect but definately buy privately.

Paul
Thanks for all the help up to now.

I did have a look around and search through the forum for previous topics on this matter but was looking for advice more specific to my situation, hence why I started a new topic.

I think I know how I'm going to take on the insurance matter but not sure on what to buy to replace my old car now...
Write off value advice & what new car? - nutty_nissan
Dude,

Last year my car got written off. Insurance sent cheque for 1,800 quid. I had full service history, every invoice, and got valuation from Glass's guide on the web (which I posted to them). A week later, I got a cheque for an extra £1,100. Shocking!

Plus, most of my stuff from the boot had been stolen by the salvage yard, so I managed to get another £350 to cover the contents of my boot.

Good Luck!
I did have a look around and search through the forum ....

>>

loopyjen - in case anyone thought i was suggesting otherwise, imo you did the right thing to start this thread. my first post was meant to direct you to other threads where the subject of valuation has been covered by me with references to an authoritative source on how to value write-offs.

it is not clear to me whose insurance comapany has made hte offer - your own or the other party's. regardless, you should get a fair market value for your car. but in addition if the third party has admitted liability, you should claim for and expect to get compensation for other items that have cost you or inconvenienced you (not forgetting the impact on your no-claim bonus and excess ).

Write off value advice & what new car? - DavidHM
(not forgetting the impact on your no-claim bonus and excess ).

With a successful claim against the third party, there shouldn't be any impact as the excess should be paid and the claim is against the third party RTA cover of the other driver, not against the driver's own insurance, i.e., no loss of excess should equal no loss of no claims.

I agree with everything else said - you have the right to be put back in the position that you were in, subject to your mitigating your losses. This means that you need to be able to buy an equivalent car with the compensation, in the market where you would usually shop for a car (dealer, privately, auction, etc.), subject to any betterment (e.g., small problems fixed, warranty, driving a newer car with the same mileage, etc.) Argue that because you're entitled to it and you have nothing to lose by holding out for a reasonable offer (and nothing to gain by holding out for an excessive one, obviously).
With a successful claim against the third party, there
shouldn't be any impact

>>

davidhm - i think you are reinforcing just what i said ( i used "not forgetting" as a means of reminding loopyjen).

unless the excess is recovered from the third party, one's own comprehensive policy will deduct the excess; ( and in any case will put you on record as having had a claim. )

most insurance companies have a "legal cover" option - a service which is then used to recover non-insured losses (such as the excess plus other damages) from the third party.

As the car has been written off and not repaired I have not had to pay any excess which is a good thing as it stands at £400 with me only being 21 and opting for a voluntary excess of £150 on top of the required excess because I'm a "young" driver. As far as my no claims stands the insurance company have said that as long as they make a full recovery from the otherside's insurance then my no claims should remain in force. I'm hoping so as I've currently got 3 years and have worked hard to keep those.

I'm going to take on the insurance as soon as I get the offer letter through the post and am hoping to hold out for as much as I can get.

Been out looking at cars today. Have decided that rather than put myself out of pocket by spending everything I have on a new car I'll be better off buying a cheaper car, about £1000 i'm hoping, and then I still have money to spend on tax, servicing and anything else.

Am considering a Seat Ibiza 1.4 CLS on a N plate that I have seen today... its priced at £1195 but I have no doubt I can get it for less than £1000 which leaves me with enough for insurance.

On another point... Can any of you advise me as to what happens with my insurance now? The policy on my fiesta was fully paid for until August and therefore I still have 8 months left on it but from what people have said I'm going to lose that money because the policy will be cancelled now the car is a write off. Is this right? I thought I'd just be able to phone the insurance company and say "by the way I've bought a new car, its a whatever it is and i'd like to transfer the policy to this car". Is this not the case? Will I lose my 8 months of money and do I need to just start a new policy for the new car I buy?

Once again, I'm really grateful for all the help!
Write off value advice & what new car? - DavidHM
The policy on my fiesta was fully paid for until August and therefore I still have 8 months left on it but from what people have said I'm going to lose that money because the policy will be cancelled now the car is a write off. Is this right?

Check with your insurance company or read your policy documents. It may be right. It may equally be that if you claim from them, you will lose the policy but not if you claim from the other party's insurers. Equally you may just be allowed to carry on the old policy with the new car.

Finally you may be entitled to claim the lost premium, if any, as an unisured loss in addition to your excess, etc. from the other party.
this is a new one on me,i would just give them the details of the new car and expect them to insure it for another 8 months the only reason there should be a charge is for a car change and a band change if different,ive never heard of insurance being null and voided before and would say" it must be a right 2 bit policy if this is so"
Seat is a good car if it has power steering and ideally 1400cc the brake pipes will all be coming up for renewal on this age so be warned buy with a long mot and budget for it at next mot,make sure you give it at least an oil and filter change when purchased as well
............good luck
Write off value advice & what new car? - DrS
I have certainly heard of this, and, on numerous occasions, have been at the wrong end of this clause.
Logic, I guess, is that the insurance policy relates to the car, and once the insurance company has paid you off for the car, then it would be unfair to expose them to further risk by asking them to insure another vehicle.
This "loss" (of x months insurance cover value) can easily be claimed back from the other guy.
Good luck!
thanks for that Drs i suppose all the years on a motor traders policy has left me behind,but the last claim i made (not my fault) i never had a bad moment with my insurer,however i always insist on insurance claim protection(not protected ncb by the way ) or whatever it is called so that maybe helped?
Write off value advice & what new car? - pd
A "no claims bonus" and "claim protection" as you point out are not the same. A NCB isn't really what it sounds. If you have an accident, even if it is in no way your fault, you still have to declare it and this will effect your premium. A "claim protection" presumably protects you against this.

As I have found out this week, involvement in any sort of accident will load your premium even if it is obviously and entirely not your fault. It's not fair but that's the way it is.
Write off value advice & what new car? - Aretas
I was in a similar situation some years ago where the insurance company of the lady that hit me offered a low price on my elderly car that had been lovingly looked after for 16 years. I took them to the small claims court for the value I wanted. It worked. I guess they did not consider it worth fighting for the small extra amount involved.