Replacement Car - Jonathan
Hi all

A few months ago, I posted regarding buying a second to car to use for the daily commute (33 miles each way). I looked at getting a citroen xantia, but I couldn't get the numbers to add up as the insurance would have been more than I would have saved in fuel.

My place of work is shortly to be moved even further away. I will, however, qualify for excess milage which should give me around £1500 for a two year period. If I can get this as a lump sum, I will change the car.

I am therefore now looking at replacing my mazda mx6 for another car. I have decided that I need an oil burner, and even though I don't have any childern I am interested in getting an estate (I don't really like hatchbacks or saloons (well the ones I do like I can't afford).

I have narrowed the choice down to either:

A4 110tdi avant se;
325 touring tds
C250 estate.

I am leaning towards the audi as I have owned an audi coupe and liked the quality, and the fuel economy is the best.

I am not too enamoured with the bmw, they are expensive but the residual should be best. Which is the better engine the 318 and 325 engines?

I also like the merc, but the fuel economy is fairly low. and I can't find any. What is the diff between the 250 and 220? (Yes I have looked at the c by c)

Given that I know there are problems with the audi's cat can anyone say which car is the best for motorway driving and should give the least trouble.

My budget should be around £8500 which should get me nice 97 audi.

Or can anyone recommend a better alternative.

Many Thanks

Jonathan
Re: Replacement Car - Steve G
Audi sounds good to me but there are a few more you might condider.
Volvo (various models)
Peugeot 405 Estate (value for money)

Shame Alfa's 156 sportwagon is still over £ 8500...
Re: Replacement Car - alex
Yep, go for the Volvo, a late 850 of early V70, bigger and better spec than Audi.

Few have been rep mobiles either, but good for 250,000 miles
Re: Replacement Car - Pat
Jonathan,

I've got the Audi A4 TDi 115 and am really pleased with it. Great combination of perfromance and economy. I always get 600 miles from a tank and on a longer run, eg Scotland, can get almost 700 miles. Super build quality.

All your shorlisted cars are great. Buy German and you won't go far wrong.

Pat
Re: Replacement Car - Phil
For fuel economy mixed with a decent urge you can't get better than the VAG 110 unit in the A4. Can be incredibly economical with a light right foot - my dad's A6 TDI 110 Avant regularly returns over 50mpg - amazing for such a big motor.

Camps are divided on the PD/non PD engine. The PD overs substantially more torque, but seems to be slightly less reliable and a bit more thirsty.