Getting a car home without MOT - arrowst
I intend to buy a car from auction shortly, and was wondering how to get it home without breaking the law (since most of the cars do not have MOT's).

Short of towing it, is there any way to at least limit the ramifications if I was to have an accident or get pulled over by the police? i will get the car insured before I set off but I imagine that will probably be invalidated by the lack of mot and tax anyway?
Getting a car home without MOT - cumfray1
Can you get your hands on a set of trade plates? Other than towing you WILL be breaking the law & no ramification, you will get at least 3 points & a wee fine from Santa. Tow ropes are cheaper than fines :-)
Getting a car home without MOT - Dynamic Dave
See if this thread is of any help:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32989
Getting a car home without MOT - Pugugly {P}
No points, middleing fine likley, mor risky being caught with no tax (and easier) and a hefty fine likely especially if it has a SORN. Possibly a Fixed penalty and potentially a ta ra to your motor. I wouldn't risk it, the penalties could far outweigh the cost of a trailer.
Getting a car home without MOT - Ruperts Trooper
Book an Mot test by phone while you're at the auction, drive the car there from the auction and then home.

There's dispensation for both tax and Mot to drive to, and from, a pre-booked Mot test. It must, however, be insured.
Well spotted - should have thought of that.
Getting a car home without MOT - bell boy
no one has mentioned the fact that the car might be dangerous.
Auction cars are unknown quantities especially ones with no mot,ask yourself a question why would vendor sell car with no mot?any decent auction will deliver within 35 miles for less than £50.
You cannot "borrow" trade plates its an offence.
...and that.
Getting a car home without MOT - Screwloose

Don't bother with the hassle and danger of towing it: if any of the wheels of a towed vehicle are in contact with the ground it needs a valid tax disc and MOT anyway. Untaxed vehicles can't even [legally] be transferred to another transporter in a lay-by unless it's private ground.

The only snag of the pre-booked MOT is if it fails. Then you're in the same boat and with few free re-tests anymore [the MOT computerization fiasco] you may have to pay twice for a silly fault you would normally have fixed before presenting it.
Getting a car home without MOT - arrowst
thanks for the advice, i'll book an MOT appointment before driving it home.

on the point about cars being sold without an mot, most of the cars for sale are exactly 3 years old and have reached the end of their warranty (which is why the leasing companies are getting rid). I don't think it necessarily means the car is unroadworthy, although I'm sure there will be a few.
Getting a car home without MOT - Hugo {P}
Two points come to mind;

1) You don't necessarily have to pick the car up from the auction house when your bid is accepted, you can organise this in slower time. Check how long they would be prepared to put up with the car there though before you buy.

2) Having no MOT doesn't always mean the car is a shed. I know people who've bought and paid for cars with no MOTs at auction for a lower price, then taken them for test, which they then passed. No dodgy stations either!
Getting a car home without MOT - BobbyG
Auction that I was at today, you had to pay a cash deposit of £300 but then had 3 days to pay the balance.
Getting a car home without MOT - bell boy
ive bought cars from the auction that have had different struts fitted no pads clapped gearboxes worn everything infact. So many years ago i stopped buying jo public cars at auction and now only buy bonafida genuine px"s from the block from trusted sources you can always get the feel for a good genuine car.
To the original poster 3 year old cars at block can be good but do your homework fix a price in your head and dont forget the car might have had one oil change and not been on a ramp since pdi.
Best advice is watch what the other traders cream on and you are nearly there.

Getting a car home without MOT - Dave N
You can tow it home on an A frame. The only thing you can then be done for is possibly exceeding the max tow weight of your towing vehicle, and not having linked brakes on the trailer (car) if it's over 750kg.
Getting a car home without MOT - Cliff Pope
I once booked an MOT at a tester that was the opposite side of home, drove home, and then cancelled the MOT.
My argument in my mind on the remote chance of any follow-up later would have been that on the way to the test I realised there was something wrong so decided it was safer to stop at home and not go any further. That would have been all too true - the car was a total wreck and I only wanted it for spares.