I-Shift - RobC
Having just read HJ's test of the new Civic, why are Honda switching from a traditional auto box - a clutchless manual?
As the owner of a '97 Civic auto which I am more than happy with, I just want to select Drive & not worry about anything else.
I also notice on the new Yaris that Toyota have dropped the 4 speed auto version & replaced it with an MMT transmission.
Is this the way all manufacturers will be going?
I hope not, because aside from a traditional 4 speed auto box on cars like the above, the only other new gearbox that has had positive write-ups is the VW/Audi DSG box.
I-Shift - JH
Rob,
I think the Telegraph review said that a traditional auto is to follow.

Curiously they hated the ishift. Guess you have to try for yourself.

John
I-Shift - RobC
John,
Cheers for the update. I do hope they offer the conventional auto box because the new Civic looks great.
Still can't understand why Toyota dropped the auto option on the Yaris though.
I-Shift - machika
These semi-automatic boxes may be cheaper to produce but they also produce much better economy.

My driving experience is limited to short journeys, one in a Corsa Easytronic and the other in a C3 Sensodrive. I thought the Easytronic was much the better of the two and one which I could live with. The Sensodrive I couldn't live with.
I-Shift - machika
As a matter of interest, how does the VAG DSG gearbox compare with a tradtional auto box for production costs?