Insurance advice please!!! - hollyoaks
Had a small accident 6 weeks ago...was accelerating off an island when the car in front suddenly emergency stopped for a zebra crossing meaning i skidded and rolled into their car very softly, got out the car and there was no visible damage to either car! The other driver was furious and kept insisting they'd have their insurance check their car over, i said there was nothing to check and if there was i would prefer to pay for the damage myself as i have 5 years NCB! So we swapped names addresses mobile no.s and insurance brokers names. Heard nothing so presumed everything was ok but have now recieved a letter from my insurance saying a claim has been made against me and requesting me to fill out a claim form!!!
Wha should i do about the letter? I really want to avoid this claim! Ignore it, Deny the accident? Will my insurance company be hoping i deny it? Thanks in advance for any advice you have.
Insurance advice please!!! - L'escargot
By not reporting the accident to your insurer you may invalidate your insurance.
--
L\'escargot.
Insurance advice please!!! - horatio
By not reporting the accident to your insurer you may invalidate
your insurance.

But not over such a short period of time. OP Basically you are stuffed, and it's about time something was done to stop scam claims like this.

ALWAYS carry a camera in your glove box.
Insurance advice please!!! - Altea Ego
Too late. you are stuffed now. You have to fill in the form.

--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Insurance advice please!!! - No FM2R
>>Too late. you are stuffed now. You have to fill in the form.

Wot 'e said.

Although you don't have to let them pay out, you can ask the extent of the claim and pay it yourself - although I probably wouldn't recommend it.
Insurance advice please!!! - jc
You must always report it,ecen if you tell them in the report that you will handle the claim yourself.
Insurance advice please!!! - wrangler_rover
My advice would be "Never offer to settle without informing the insurance company"
In 2 or 3 months time, you will probably receive a call from one of the many no win no fee solicitors, claiming a huge sum for whiplash for their client. Whiplash is a funny thing, difficult to prove like a bad back or stress, not easily identifyable like a broken arm.
Let the insurance company carry the risk of such a large settlement.
Insurance advice please!!! - Nsar
I'm in a similar position, I wrote to my insurers and said I would contest the claim personally, they were perfectly happy to close their file and I've written to the other party's insurers and asked them to deal direct with me. So far no response after about a month.
Insurance advice please!!! - Altea Ego
That is very very brave Nsar.

Oh the file is not closed BTW. Its on your file and will be used to calculate your risk next year.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Insurance advice please!!! - Nsar
The claim against me (aside from being bogus - the other party drove off but obviously not before taking down the reg plate) is less than the effect on the NCB. My insurer's letter to me states in closing the matter that no claim exists.
Insurance advice please!!! - Bromptonaut
The claim against me (aside from being bogus - the other
party drove off but obviously not before taking down the reg
plate) is less than the effect on the NCB. My insurer's
letter to me states in closing the matter that no claim
exists.

NCB is safe but the insurer may still take the accident into account and increase the gross premium. Only the bottom line number counts.
Insurance advice please!!! - Bromptonaut
Anything more than a parking ding where all parties are being reasonable let the inusrer deal. And even then advise othem of the event and settlement.

As others have siad there is a risk for the OP of a PI claim, maybe creative, which makes it more difficult, and of hidden damage to the other car.
Insurance advice please!!! - Cymrogwyllt
Several years ago a car reversed into the side of mine at a patrol station. The other driver was happy to replace the door of my (15 year old) car with one from a scrappy. No prob. His car seemed completely undamaged. It later turned out that his tow bar had ripped from the mountings and that the car was a write off. Laugh? I nearly cried. lol.