Unpaid road tax+Long journey - zon300
Appreciate any help on this.
Just realised that my road tax is out of date by 21 days,got a shock when I saw the end of last month on the tax disc today evening.
Trouble is I have to travel 3 hours leaving tomorrow morning for a business meeting.

Appreciate the advice of all of you in the know.

Is there any way to pay it online,couldnt find any link to it.Phoned the DVLA but they have closed for today.

Would it be ok setting off tomorrow and then paying the road tax tommorow evening, ie any risk of being caught on the way??

Any advise appreciated!
Unpaid road tax Long journey - mare
Would it be ok setting off tomorrow and then paying the
road tax tommorow evening, ie any risk of being caught on
the way??
Any advise appreciated!

Strictly speaking no, it's not Ok, but you've got away with it for the last 21 days, so the risk of getting caught is probably about as mush as it has been.

Other people on here have renewed on line, or you could take all your documents with you and find a post office at your destination.

Have a read of this thread.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36124

I think you'll be ok, unless you get pulled over or spotted by a ANPR camera.
Unpaid road tax+Long journey - Altea Ego
apnr matters not, you have already been flagged on the computer
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Unpaid road tax+Long journey - zon300
Does being flagged on the computer mean that I can be pulled over by a friendly police man while driving,since his computer+camera records indicate that the vehicle isnt taxed.

Does anyone know the link for paying online-rather have the headache over and done with today
Unpaid road tax+Long journey - martint123
ISTR that you can only pay online if your car doesn't need an MOT or you have a computerised MOT. It should say on the renewal form that you can pay online.

Can I use this service?

You can apply online:

* if you have received a Vehicle Licence Application/SORN Declaration form (V11) with a unique 16 digit reference number printed in the yellow box on the front of the form or
* if you have not received a V11 and your vehicle does not require an MOT, you can use the 11 digit reference number found on the front of your Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) or Vehicle Registration Document (V5) or
* if your vehicle has been issued with a new style computerised MOT receipt (certificate), Goods Vehicle (GVT) or Passenger Service Vehicle (PSV) test certificate, you can use the 11 digit reference number on the front of your V5C or V5

Apply online here.

www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

Unpaid road tax+Long journey - David Horn
If you backdate the tax when you buy the disc, you *might* just get away with it. Friend of mine forgot his tax and only realised three weeks afterwards, same as you, and had no problems.
I have done it! - zon300
Just managed to pay online using the DVLA website,the amount charged was £170 ie the same I paid last year.

Wonder when the £40 fine kicks in!

Big sigh of relief-can finally relax with a chilled Stella!

Thanks a lot mare,martint123 and David Horn for all the helpful replies.
I have done it! - Dynamic Dave
Wonder when the £40 fine kicks in!

Without wishing to worry you further, failure to display a valid tax disc carries a fine as well if stopped by plod and they see you don't have it in the window - regardless of whether you're waiting for it to turn up in the post.
I have done it! - zon300
I guess I can live with a fine so long as I dont get charged/court etc.

I have the confirmatory printout from the DVLA website after my payment was accepted so hopefully they wouldnt be able to charge me.

How do the plod or these fancy cameras find you.
Do they scan all the numberplates that they see, esp if he has to look closely at the windscreen to find out the tax disc date.

Anyone know where these apnr cameras are located??

I have done it! - Armitage Shanks {p}
The camera finds you by logging ALL number plates that go past it and getting a warning of anything untaxed, uninsured, no MOT or involved in a crime and you'll get pulled over further down the road. In some couties they are mobile, taking pictures out the back of a van, of the cars following and pulling them over themselves if one comes up as a ??? on the database. I think you'll be fine on your journey with the printout from DVLA; I did my last renewal on line and the disc took about 5 days in the post. It would be hard man who pulled you over for not displaying something you had paid for, backdated to the right date, but in the post and not on your screen!
I have done it! - RickyBoy
In some couties they are mobile, taking pictures out the back of a van, of the cars following and pulling them over themselves if one comes up as a ??? on the database.

A Camera Van has been positioned halfway up the A421 dual-carriageway out of Buckingham in the direction of Bicester (between the Tingewick & Finmere turns) every Wednesday morning for the past three weeks!
I have done it! - Happy Blue!
Don't think that there are any fixed apnr cameras apart from in London Congestion Zone. Police apnr are set up ad hoc find find untaxed cars. This usually results in finding uncaught criminals as well so is a 'good thing' except for the usually legally minded person who genuinely forgets.

I have a similar question....

MoT expires on 29th Nov and car booked in on 29th Nov for service and MoT. Car needs taxing by 1st Dec. If car fails MoT, and will take longer than a couple of days to fix, what do I do about the tax. Do I ignore it and hope that it will all get sorted within a few days, or do I declare SORN and then tax car later, even if its off the road for a few days?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
I have done it! - Stuartli
>>MoT expires on 29th Nov>>

Mine is due on exactly the same day...:-)

I had it MOT'd last Tuesday morning and dated from November 29th (you can do this for up to a month ahead).

Regarding out of date tax discs. Traffic wardens (at least in my area) can also report them if they find one on a parked vehicle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I have done it! - Hugo {P}
Espada

If you can't tax the vehicle for whatever reason, then SORN it making sure it's off the road.

If you need to get it back to the garage for its MOT and work, then you can take it there under certain conditions (prebooked MOT etc).

When you get the MOT cert, if you have SORNed it then AFAIR taxing it would not be a problem. Just do what you'd normally do.

other than that I may stand corrected for the 2nd time in 30 mins :(
MVL Duty Issues - Bromptonaut
Espada

Was about to suggest taxing the car in advance, then realised that the MoT needs to be current when the licence comes into force - i.e. on 01 December. Strictly speaking you should probably declare SORN. The penalty for not renewing etc does not kick in until the duty remains unpaid for 28 days I think you (and the OP) will be safe, though that will not save you from roadside stop for failure to display .

The data that generates a "red" on an ANPR camera will probably incorporate a similar 28 day or so safety margin so as to save too many false positives where paperwork is still in the system.
MVL Duty Issues - Stuartli
Are you unable to reschedule the MOT to an earlier date?
MVL Duty Issues - Happy Blue!
I have thought about that Stuart, but car booked in for 29th (so that's OK then) with full service etc at same time.

(Assume they do MoT first, deal with any faults found during time on service ramp, and then retest faulty bits).

However, as the only obvious thing faulty was the wipers which I changed tonight, I may try a drive in MOT place. If it passes then great, if not, then I have the service and MoT test booked for 29th. I now have to find the time find a drive in MoT place and hope they have a slot.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
MVL Duty Issues - Stuartli
Espada III {P}

Going to be an expensive end of the month...:-((

At least a cheque takes three days to clear if you get paid at the beginning of the month..:-)
MVL Duty Issues - bell boy
the apnr cameras were used to find the car that left bradford and returned to london with the suspected murderers of the policewoman in,it was said on the local look north tonight,they are also used as you enter leeds on the motorway network,they scan every car/van etc that enters the cities,there was a big piece about it that was very interesting,we often in our town have the local van with the rear mounted camera.checking every vehicle.I dont think you will be "done" by the way but make sure you dont speed and put a little note in the window and carry your printed off receipt.
MVL Duty Issues - henry k
the apnr cameras were used to find the car that left bradford and returned to london with the suspected murderers
of the policewoman in,it was said on the local look north tonight

>>
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4455918.stm
MVL Duty Issues - defender
Espada as I found out on my recent lucky escape you have 14 days grace if you keep your untaxed car of the road as described here www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/unlicensed.htm
Unpaid road tax+Long journey - Mapmaker
DON'T WORRY AT ALL!

Honest. Provided you get your new licence by the end of this month, it won't be a problem. I think you even have some grace into next month - provided you back date the tax to 1 November. How do I know?

1. Practical experience. Been there, done that, no fine. Twice this year, in fact!

2. Everybody knows that the DVLA computer system is neither a computer nor a system... don't worry.

3. The Finance Act introducing the automatic fine legislation includes a clause for 'grace' for late payment.

This of course ignores the following:

1. You are breaking the law in not showing a valid tax disc (£ couple of tenners - that's not going to break you and you'll never be caught anyway).

2. A traffic warden might have your car towed for being apparently abandoned (don't ask how I know that one)...

I assume BTW that you are insured (important) and MOT'd (vaguely important).

Unpaid road tax+Long journey - Stuartli
>>MOT'd (vaguely important).>>

Very important.

Hefty fine well into three figures if not valid.

Unpaid road tax+Long journey - bell boy
poor lad made an honest mistake, hes going to have a journey of unknown purgetory tommorrow now, looking for camera"s and police.
:)
Unpaid road tax+Long journey - Mapmaker
>>Very important.

>>Hefty fine well into three figures if not valid.

Yeah, but no points - unless I'm wrong??? (not a good idea, I'm not suggesting it for a moment, but...)

Done without any problems - zon300
Just back after an exhausting 420 odd mile run from Harwich to Telford and back to Great Yarmouth, through the M6 toll, without any problems.

And the new tax disk has arrived the next day after ordering online from the DVLA.Thats service for you!

Probably speeding tickets are also delivered with the same haste!!