DVLA fine - worth appealing? - smokie
FiL's car was stolen many nonths back and eventually insurance company paid up in full. He recalls the police saying at the time that they would report to DVLA.

Car was subsequently found but obviously was insurance company's property.

A few weeks back he received a letter from DVLA saying someone else was trying to register it. He detailed what had happened and heard no more.

Except he now has a £55 fine (reduced to £30 if paid within xx days) for failing to report change of ownership.

Is it worth him appealing it?
DVLA fine - worth appealing? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I suggest Yes but in writing, of course, and not thru DVLA's expensive and time consuming automated phone system.
DVLA fine - worth appealing? - martint123
Did he return the V5 to the insurance company - most ask for this and the MOT etc when they pay out for a writeoff.
DVLA fine - worth appealing? - bell boy
as martint123 has said the insurance company should ask for the v5 and they should by law also inform the dvla of the category that the car has been classed as eg cat d,all this may take months and if finance is involved can take years therefore the time between bump and payout can be vast.If in this time the tax runs out it is the keeper in whos name is in the log book that will get the fine.
,i always suggest to any customer that comes to me that have lost their car to the insurance industry to write a letter to customer services at the dvla outlining why the car is no longer in their possesion and to keep a copy.If the insurance company want to keep your busines im sure they will work something out if you speak to them.
On the same note ish anyone who scraps a car should also let dvla know and not depend on the end of life centre to electronically advise swansea of its demise even though you get a certificate from them ,as you will still be deemed to be in ownership of the vehicle,if due process is not followed.
DVLA fine - worth appealing? - mare

Definitely!

I had a letter from DVLA because someone was trying to tax the Octavia that i had part exchanged three months before, and the cheque had bounced. There was a phone number in Leeds, i called and they asked me just to return the form declaring that the car was no longer mine.

Get him to dig out what info he sent to DVLA, in my case, sending back the form to Leeds advised them of change of user.
DVLA fine - worth appealing? - deepwith
I think so. For future reference, when my car was written off in September NU had the V5 before they would pay out. Having read posts here telling how to check car's status with DVLA I did so last week and found it still registered. Rang DVLA to report car had been written off and got letter from them next day thanking me for info and telling me they had checked and would amend records.
DVLA fine - worth appealing? - henry k
Definitely!
Get him to dig out what info he sent to DVLA,

>>
I got a fine sent for No SORN/No Tax after driving the old car to the scrap yard. Docs lost in the post????
I copied the docs I had and sent them a short letter explaining things.
They replied saying no further action.
Give them a call.
DVLA fine - worth appealing? - Armitage Shanks {p}
If you are sent a NIP and it doesn't arrived it is your problem - if they have posted it then it is deemed to have been delivered. It should work the other way round - you have posted something to DVLA then it must have arrived - mustn't it??!!!
If you are sent a NIP and it doesn't arrived it is your problem - if they have posted it then it is deemed to have been delivered. It should work the other way round - you have posted something to DVLA then it must have arrived - mustn't it??!!!

>>
No.
IIRC
They send a confirmation. If you do not get this within a short period then you chase them.
I was unaware of this process IIRC it is on their website.
It seems to be a good approach if you know about it.

Found it ....See below for an example of SORN
www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regveh_whatmustido.htm

Under the system of Continuous Registration, you will be liable for the vehicle until you have notified DVLA of the sale, scrap, export, or the police of the theft of your vehicle. Once you have informed DVLA, you will receive an acknowledgement letter, confirming the discharge of liability of your vehicle. If you do not receive an acknowledgement letter within four weeks please contact 0870 240 0010.
DVLA fine - worth appealing? - mare
Under the system of Continuous Registration, you will be liable for
the vehicle until you have notified DVLA of the sale, scrap,
export, or the police of the theft of your vehicle. Once
you have informed DVLA, you will receive an acknowledgement letter, confirming
the discharge of liability of your vehicle. If you do not
receive an acknowledgement letter within four weeks please contact 0870 240

Within that last paragraph, OP FiL 'should' be OK, provided he informed the police that it was stolen.
DVLA fine - worth appealing? - barney100
I had a similar experience and appealed successfully. The revelant paperwork I argued was lost in the post. My case was that they had to prove I didn't send it rather than me proving I did.
I had a similar experience and appealed successfully. The revelant paperwork I argued was lost in the post.

In my case I was.... well sort of certain I had sent it.

>>My case was that they had to prove I didn't send it rather than me proving I did.
>>
The onus is on YOU to get the info to them.
So your case looks a bit dodgy.
IMO A sweet letter simlpy stating the facts so as not to be confrontational and not to back them into a corner is what is required. Else they can fall back on the extract I posted.
You did not contact them after four weeks so pay the fine.

I called them first and they were very helpful and friendly.
I then sent photo copies of docs etc. Finally the "No further action" letter arrived.
Happiness all round