Peugeot 306 tachometer - John ryder
The tachometer on my Peugeot 306 1.9 Turbo diesel works only intermittently, with no apparent reason for the failure. The sensor has been taken off and cleaned and the connection has been cleaned, to no avail. Any suggestions, please,in layman's terms?
I asked this question a few days ago but didn't receive any answers that helped, I remember months ago this subject appearing on these pages and the answer mentioned using a meter on the two wires at the connection block on the front of the engine ? HELP it's stopped working altogether now and I don't want to go to a main dealer.
Re: Peugeot 306 tachometer - David W
John,

Sorry we didn't help before.

In my book you haven't proved the sensor isn't faulty yet. I'd get a new one before looking further.

David
Re: Peugeot 306 tachometer - Big Vern
I'll ask the same question I did last time, as you did not answer, Where is the sensor?
Re: Peugeot 306 tachometer - John Ryder
The sensor is at the back of the engine low down it 's senses a probe or something like that on the fly wheel
Re: Peugeot 306 tachometer - mike harvey
John, Has the sensor got 2 or 3 wires coming from it? If it is 2, it will be an inductive pulse generator, which should give an AC voltage across the 2 wires with the engine running, IRO 0.5 -2.0v in my experience at low revs. Check with a multimeter (£10 one is good enough). Can also set the meter to 'ohms', and measure resistance, which I have no idea what it will be, 2000 ohms or something. If you have a manual it may well tell you. If you get a reading of 'infinity', then it is Kn.....ed anyway.
A 3 wire sensor will probably be hall effect. They are a bit rare on a tacho, so if it is one , email me and I will explain how to test it. This should save you the expence and dissaopintment of fitting a new one when ther was nothing wrong with the old one. Far too many garages do that at the customers expense.
Mike
Just re- read it, it's getting late!

expense, disappointment, there, customers'.

Mike
Thanks Mike you have given me the best answer yet I seem to recognize your name did you give the answer a few months ago?
There are two wires regards John
Was not me last time. Hpoe you fix it.
Mike
Thanks point taken about poor answers! and yes I had already ordered a sensor before I was told how to test it and I havn't received it yet. The cost I am told will be £37.00 and I didn't ask if it included vat regards John
Thanks Mike you have given me the best answer yet I seem to recognize your name did you give the answer a few months ago?
There are two wires regards John
Re: Peugeot 306 tachometer - David W
John,

Hey there are no best answers here, just alternatives!

You don't want to discourage those with the *poor* answers. ;-)

As a matter of interest the reason I said to replace the sensor was I assumed you didn't have the means to test it and a new one was only a tenner last time I put one on a Citroen TD.

Good luck.

David