Where Insurers get their info - MM
Ask fir an online motor quote, and some websites ask for your registration number. Upon input, your car details (make and model) appear as if by magic.

Questions:

(1) Does this come from DVLA or an Insurance Database?

(2) If from DVLA, the fact that an input registration number is not recognised, does that imply a dodgy nunber plate?

MM
Re: Where Insurers get their info - Keithb
1. From data purchased from the DVLA.

2. Could be an invalid reg. number or it could be that the info held by the DVLA does not identify the exact model of car. Or it could be that the car is too new to be on the file last purchased by the insce. co.
Re: Where Insurers get their info - MM
S-Reg - too new ?

Dodgy plate then IMO. (It was a drive-away from an RTA job, that I witnessed and made sure I wrote down the number. I used insurance website to confirm the make and model of car, only for the number to be rejected. I did not mis-write it, it was only a few feet away and I spoke to the "perpetrator" after I forced them to pull over).

MM
Re: Where Insurers get their info - ladas are slow
when i have been getting quotes for cars i have been looking to buy, about 40% of the cars registrations cant be found, so thats about 8 cars in total.
Re: Where Insurers get their info - Keithb
More likely that the web site couldn't identify the exact model of car.

www.esure.co.uk finds my car when almost all other sites reject the number.
I'll try esure then Keith, thanks ...........

MM
Re: Where Insurers get their info (FAO KEITH) - MM
Yes!

esure confirm the make of car!

Odd that Direct Line and Eagle Star Direct don't!

Hopefully the police will "do" this dishonest driver (see FfwlCymraeg's post in early November re good deed for the day for more details!)

MM fka FfwlCymraeg
Re: Where Insurers get their info (FAO KEITH) - Keithb
Glad that esure's system worked for you. They're a fairly new co. owned by Halifax B/S and set up by Peter Wood who originally created Direct Line and made a fortune out of it.

Hope justice is done. Please keep us informed.

Keithb
Re: Where Insurers get their info (FAO Darcie) - MM
I refer the honourable lady to the post I made a couple of months ago .....

boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=6843620

Regards

MM
Re: Where Insurers get their info (FAO Darcie) - Darcy Kitchin
Remember now.

PS Although honourable, I am a chap.
Sorry, Darcy!
Re: Where Insurers get their info - Darcy Kitchin
"Forced them to pull over"; come on MM, your post is only half a story, let's hear more.
Re: Where Insurers get their info (FAO Darcie) - RogerL
On the original thread, the data is purchased from DVLA, anomalies can only occur if the Registration is too new, faulty as you suspect, or a slow cherished number transfer. This does seem however quite a good way of getting a free "hpi" check.
Re: Where Insurers get their info - Andrew T
Not only insurers. If you advertise on the AutoTrader website, they ask for your car's Reg.No. and all the details of model, colour, etc. appear by magic.