No Claim Bonus Discount Dispute. - Richteo
I have had my own car insurance policy since September 2002, and until this September it was through a broker. During this time I made no claims. This year their renewal quote was not competetive so I changed companies and informed the old one I could not be renewing.

No problems, or so I thought. I got a letter from the new company requesting proof of my no-claims discount. Fair enough. They recommened I sent my renewal notice, but reading through this I saw it had no indication of any no claim discount. So I phoned up old insurers (twice) and eventually got a certificate stating 3 years no claims. Sent it off and forgot about it.

A couple of weeks later another letter from new insurers saying they aren't accepting the certificate and send the renewal notice. I did that and added a letter saying no claims bonus is not mentioned hence the certificate. I also included the insurers phone number, old policy number and details and basically told them to do their own admin work (I was polite!).

Today I get another letter, the same as the last one, so I phoned up again and got them to phone my old insurers. I had to phone back after half an hour and I was informed that my old insurers have now stated I only have 2 years no claims. arrrgggghhhh! The old insurers are closed now so can't get in touch till tomorrow.

What can I do? Sorry about the essay :(
No Claim Bonus Discount Dispute. - martint123
I've been through this. Ask them about their complaints procedure and say that if it isn't sorted out then you will be contacting the regulator. (the old insurer that is).

www.fsa.gov.uk/consumer/02_HOW/Complain/mn_complai...l
No Claim Bonus Discount Dispute. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Surely all you need to do is ask your previous insurer to state how many years you were insured with them and to give details of any claims they have paid out on your behalf during that time. If you cancelled or moved without doing a whole number of years ie 2 years and 8 months, for example, they migh then only give you 2 yrs no claims.
No Claim Bonus Discount Dispute. - Richteo
Thankfully, after many phone calls its sorted. I phoned my old insurers again and got through to someone who actually seemed to possess a brain. They confirmed that I did have 3 years no claims and offered to phone the new insurers to state this fact. They phoned back 5 minutes later saying the new insurers wouldn't accept this and I would have to phone them, telling the new insurers to pone the old ones again.

After 2 phone calls (on the first the system was down!) and spending another 10 minutes telling the tale again, and again, they finally phoned the old insurers.

I guess this just goes to show you get what you pay for. God help me if I should need to make a claim. I'm also pretty certain I will never use a company who's customer service department is overseas. The language barrier is just too confusing.

Thanks for all the advice.
No Claim Bonus Discount Dispute. - Collos25
I have just renewed my insurance on receiving my renewal quote I shopped around and achieved an offer of some £50 cheaper ,I then contacted my insurance who promptly matched it.I would like to know why they did not give me this in the first place.I know really they just treat the customers like dumbos.My company is closely related to 1066 by the way
No Claim Bonus Discount Dispute. - AngryJonny
It's the intertia effect. They're hoping you'll simply accept the renewal without checking around for quotes, as many do. That way they get an extra 50 quid. Repeat a million times and they're 50 million quid better off.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.