£1500 Fiesta replacement - what tho? - smokie
Following on from my further problems with the Fiesta (see tech for details) my mech says valve stems would be maybe a couple of hundred to do (I'm incapable) but may not be the cause of the problem. A replacement engine would cost a couple of hunded to fit, plus the cost of the engine. It's still a neat little car so I'd be sad to see it go. But I'm starting to think maybe complete replacement would be the answer.

So, say we were spending up to £1500, and I don't mind buying at auction or privately but am not keen on traders (though might consider one if I got a decent trade in price), what variants of the following would be in scope financially, and technically which is the best variant, with low maintenance costs, insurance etc. Or which should I avoid like the plague. (Insurance for a new driver means I need to look at lower spec engines - say up to 1200cc). I would hope to get something with no more than average mileage.

Ka
Fiesta (presume Zetec engine desirable)
Corsa

£1500 Fiesta replacement - what tho? - local yokel
HJ is very keen on Puntos, and there loads under your price. My personal experience (and HJ agreess..) is that there are only two kinds of Punto - the ones that have blown a head gasket and the ones that will. At £250 to replace it's a risk, but they are good enough little cars, with excellent space for rear seat passengers.

If you do go for one, get the 55SX five door. It's a group 3.
£1500 Fiesta replacement - what tho? - Adam {P}
Smokie,

When we were in Sixth Form, there was a sort of race as to who passed their tests first, who got the cars first etc. One of my mates bought an N Reg 55SX. We all laughed at him and took the mick (as mates do) saying how it was a Fiat and all this but it was a comfortable ride and I could fit in the back suprisingly well. (I was about 6ft4 then).

He's still got it which says something.

However, I'd look at mark 4 Fiestas. I had cracking fun in mine and whilst a few niggly things went wrong, nothing actually stopped the car from working. The most serious thing was the blocked cat which I guess could happen on any.

Mine felt pretty solid and the 1.25 engine is a cracker. I've read somewhere, (on here I think) that economy wasn't as good as you'd expect due to it being a heavy little car. Having never owned another small car, I wouldn't be able to advise but bearing in mind I was a young lad who went everwhere in it including long drives, fuel consumption didn't hit me noticably.

They're solid little cars and look pretty good. If you find a decent one, for £1500 you can't really complain.
£1500 Fiesta replacement - what tho? - MichaelR
You can get some really decent cars for this money, or you can just buy a small tatty runabout.

Personally, I'd look bigger. Something like a Citroen Xsara, Ford Mondeo or similar. Sit down and do the maths before you dismiss them as expensive to run. Suprisingly it'll be newer than most small cars for the cash, more comfortable, nicer to drive, etc.

As for insurance, my first car @ 18 was a Xantia TD. It didn't cost the earth to insure.

Provided you do under 8000 miles a year any difference in fuel economy won't be enough to really worry about.
£1500 Fiesta replacement - what tho? - Adam {P}
His young daughter won't want a Mondeo though will she?
£1500 Fiesta replacement - what tho? - Vansboy
Get an ex Police, civilain spec Fiesta. (NOT a white panda car.)

You'll find www.woma.co.uk has them from time, to time, or check in AuctionView link to our left.

Your budget will be buying a metalic 5 door, T V reg 30-60k. Driven, not too eratically, by CID or office staff, so not too many nasty surprises! No Blues n Twos, & just a couple of holes in the dash & one additional roof antenna.

VB
£1500 Fiesta replacement - what tho? - MichaelR
Nope but I wanted a 3 door 306 until I woke up and realised what poor value small cars were ;)
£1500 Fiesta replacement - what tho? - MW
Get a Micra, post R reg with airbags and a few toys. £1,500 plus should get you a good one