golf gti 1998, turbo or not ? - m1ike1000
Hi, any help with this greatly appreciated. I am not a car expert I should say in advance.

I bought a Golf Gti 1998 from a friend some time ago. The insurance is up for renewal. Whenever I put in the registration number in insurance quote sites, it appears as the 150bhp gti Turbo model. However, the car just has a 1.8 badge on the back (though i understand they didnt always put gti on the back of the car) and it doesnt feel like a turbo. I think it may be registered incorrectly. How can I go about checking this ? Is there anything on the engine that will reveal what horsepower it is capabale of ?

Thanks

Mike
golf gti 1998, turbo or not ? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Look at the engine for signs of turbo plumbing or take it to a VW dealer and ask then to look under the bonnet or to check the engine and/or VIN number for you. A small contribution to any charity box they might have on the reception desk should cover it!
golf gti 1998, turbo or not ? - JohnM{P}
Whilst you wait to get a chance to ask a VW dealer for a definitive answer, according to my 2001 VW Price list:

GTIs were either 2.0l, 1.8Turbo (or TDi).
GTIs had darkened rear light lenses and front fogs.
1.8T GTI had 3 rear head rests/3x3-point rear belts, 'Recaro' front seats, ASR and black wood trim fitted as std (ASR and black wood not available as options on 2.0l or TDi).

Hth, JohnM
golf gti 1998, turbo or not ? - perleman
Between about 3000 and 5000 revs, if you can hear a sound that is somewhere between a whoosh and a whirl, it is a Turbo. I know this sounds vague but it's pretty distinctive when you hear it. Also, the difference between the models was 2.0 = 115BHP, 1.8T = 150 BHP so quite a big difference in power.
golf gti 1998, turbo or not ? - perleman
Also, what does it say on the engine cover? Mine is a pre 2002 model same as yours and the engine cover says "20 valve turbo" - hope this helps.
golf gti 1998, turbo or not ? - cheddar
When the MkIV was launched the GTi was available as a 125bhp 20v 1.8 or a 150bhp turbo version of the same engine, the former was badged either '1.8' or 'GTi', the latter generally 'GTi' with a red 'i'. The non turbo 1.8 was later dropped (in 2000 IIRC) and a 2.0 was launched with the 115bhp 8v 2.0ltr motor as fitted to the earlier MkIII GTI, this engine was more gutsy at low revs so felt quicker and was cheaper to make though was also a bit less refined than the 1.8.

golf gti 1998, turbo or not ? - m1ike1000
Thanks everyone. Im almost certain its not a turbo going on the above advice and I got an independant mechanic to look at it and he said its not turbo either. I will get it confirmed at a VW garage. Makes quite a bit of difference to the insurance!

Thanks again.

Mike
golf gti 1998, turbo or not ? - Peter D
What does your log book say it is. ? Regards Peter