98 2.2 diesel gear linkage - kevin b
I have a 1998 Renault Espace RTX-DT 2.2 diesel with a snapped gear change cable. Relatively easy job to remove just disconnect from ball/socket joint at bottom of gear lever under car and the same for the engine compartment just have to remove air filter to get to it. However no matter where I try I am told this part is only available from a Renault dealer. Whats more you cannot just purchase the gear linkage cable from Renault. They only supply what they call the gear linkage assembly which includes the gear knob (I was even asked whether I wanted a vinyl or leather one), the gear lever, the assembly it fits into, and the 2 gear change cables one for forward gears the other for reverse. The cost of this gear linkage assembly is £286 inc. VAT (I shudder to think what it would cost supplied with a leather gear knob, and who would want to pay the extra anyway unless you really wanted one). I have tried a number of online breakers yard but with no joy so far. Has anyone else encountered this before? If so how did you get round it or did you have to fork out £286 for a cable which probably has a value of only £5. Is this a common practice all car manufacturers employ when selling parts or is it peculiar to Renault? Why can't they just supply the part that is required rather than having to fork out a lots of money for parts which are not required - the answer is obvious I suppose.

Edited by Pugugly on 26/05/2008 at 14:51

renault espace gear linkage - sierraman
Yes it is common practice.Years ago I needed a CVJ for a Renault 20,dealer only part and they would only sell the complete driveshaft at over £300.Is it a Bowden cable?If so these are easy to make up,I made some cables for a custom motor bike once.You can buy lengths of inner and outer,cut to size and solder nipples on.Important to splay strands of cable into nipple so it does not pull off.
renault espace gear linkage - EmmaG
Hi, same thing has happened on my grand RXE DT, 1998. Got stuck in reverse whilst picking children up from school. Luckily in quiet cul-de sac!! My husband managed to get the car into neutral and we towed it home. On investigation he discovered the snapped cable. I nearly fainted when Renault told me the cost the part (couldn't understand why they wanted to know if I had a vinyl or leather gear stick, the gear stick hasn't broken!!!!). My husband is considering soldering the cable in such a way that it can be put back into the housing, however, I'm not sure I want to drive around like this? However, I will look up Bowden cables, God knows I've tried every other variation on 'Espace gear cable'. Only bought the car at the end of September. The heater control unit went within 3 days, managed to get one from a breakers at the bargain price of £100, I think Renault wanted £230. Not sure I can cope with Renault's unreliability of ridiculous main dealer pricing. Hmmm. Forum is great though.
renault espace gear linkage - DynaSoarer
This Bowden cable does not have standard nipple end fittings. One end is a plastic 'pop fit' onto the gear selector on top of the gearbox, the other end is attached to a rod which in turn is attached to a ball joint on the gear knob. It breaks at the gear knob end due to poor design. As well as the back and forth movement at the gear knob end, there is vertical (up & down) movement because of the pivoting action. This up & down movement bends the joint between the cable and the rod and eventually causes failure.

Someone else mentioned soldering or brazing to repair the cable. I tried brazing on a brass extension to the cable but the solder did not 'take'. So wit gritted teeth, I am going to have to fork out £286 unless I can get a second hand one from a breakers. Hens teeth come to mind?