Insuring Imports - Adrian J
I've just bought a new pre-registered Mazda 626 from Motorpoint only to find out that my insurer for the last 30+ years won't look at it. Neither will AA.com.

Can anyone recommend a broker or insurer please?

Adrian
Re: Insuring Imports - Keithb
Shouldn't be any problem if it's a UK spec car e.g. Eagle Star (who my import is insured with) state the following on their web site :

The car:
is a standard UK model (imported vehicles must be standard UK models available from a UK main dealer)

As far as I know, Motorpoint (and Trade Sales) don't sell 'grey' imports or anything which is not available from a UK dealer.

Might be worth speaking to a manager or underwriter at your insurance co. as the call centre staff often don't understand imports.
Re: Insuring Imports - KB
Norwich Union are usually much more inclined to deal with Imports and are probably no dearer than most. Why did the others say they did not want to insure it? Certainly, in my experience, many insurers are not keen to insure Japanese cars if they came from anyone other than UK Main dealer. They sometimes seem to confuse non UK. spec.grey imports with UK spec. personal imports. Perhaps the problem is your Mazda *ISN'T* UK spec. Not all motors from Motorpoint are. Some definitely come from all manner of distant locations, Cyprus is not unknown for example.

If NU are no good, you'll be best off trawling the brokers, rather than the 'Direct insurers.'

This can quite a problem and seems to be getting worse not better.
Re: Insuring Imports - John Davis
My vehicle is a "grey" import, ie Toyota Masterace from Japan. This model is not sold in this country so, I assume, it is not UK spec. One or two insurance companies got a bit edgy over my insurance request but, through Swintons, Norwich Union were quite happy to give me very reasonable cover and, as other companies do, they required a Thatcham alarm, with certificate, to be fitted.
Re: Insuring Imports - Andrew Barnes
My imported Golf is insured with www.axamotor.co.uk

Andrew
Re: Insuring Imports - Ian Brown

My imported Golf and a mates at work are both insured with NIG. Sorry don't know their web address but they were very cheap!!!
Re: Insuring Imports - Tony
Tesco are very good,even with unusual stuff,failling that ask Motorpoint,im sure they can point you in the right direction.
Re: Insuring Imports - Ronnie Courtney
Tony wrote:
>
> Tesco are very good,even with unusual stuff,failling that ask
> Motorpoint,im sure they can point you in the right direction.

Cheers, Tony - I've always wondered what the "point" of "Motorpoint" was!

Ronnie
Re: Insuring Imports - Mazza
Try Privilege insurance or Direct line, they should both offer cover without any hassle.
Re: Insuring Imports - Colin M
Andrew, if the car is a UK spec vehicle with a certificate of conformity, then it should be insured at the same rate as a UK car. There is a lot of confusion with the insurers about "imports". If it's a grey import as discussed, then different rules apply, but many people mention the word "import" as the source of their purchase only to be met with inaccurate information from the insurance telesales people.

Ask them to verify the quote with the underwriters if you are not sure.
Re: Insuring Imports - KB
Colin's points are very true, but it does seem that a good few insurers just will not take on imports of any description, no matter what you say to them - and I've tried a few.

John Davis mentioned earlier that 'Norwich Union through Swinton' was good for him. You will have seen that I, myself, suggested N/U as a good bet, but when I went to Swinton a year ago, they said 'no imports whatsoever with us'.
Which further proves the need to ring round youself till you get what you want.

KB