More on Hydrogen. - Brill
Sorry about the length of this!
But I thought some here may find interesting...
(© Prospect Magazine, Feb 2002)

You can tell that something is going on in the motor industry when the sexiest and most futuristic car on show at this year?s Detroit motor show does not even have an engine. Instead, Autonomy, a prototype put on display by General Motors a few weeks ago, is powered by fuel cells.

A fuel cell is a device that combines oxygen and hydrogen to produce electrical energy, with heat and water vapour as byproducts. Combine a fuel cell with an electric motor, and the result is an engine that produces no noxious emissions or climate-changing carbon dioxide; and since oxygen is available from the air, a fuel cell powered car simply needs a steady supply of hydrogen to keep going. A further benefit, as the curvy Autonomy prototype demonstrated, is that fuel cells place fewer restrictions on the car?s shape. They do not all need to be concentrated in one place, as with a conventional engine. No more pollution, and the scope for radical new designs: little wonder that the motor industry has decided that fuel cells are the future.

There is no question that fuel cell vehicles are practical. Many prototypes are already running. Their technical viability has been demonstrated in trials, notably in California, where tough environmental legislation requires car makers to develop cleaner alternatives to petrol or diesel engines. Fuel cell-powered prototype buses are already running in some cities. DaimlerChrysler aims to be the first to the market with a fuel cell car based on the Mercedes-Benz A-Class, which is expected to go on sale in 2004. Other manufacturers also have fuel cell vehicles in the pipeline. Although a fuel cell now costs about 100 times more than a comparable conventional engine, the cost should fall as fuel cells enter mass production.

But there are still hurdles to overcome. The most obvious problem is how best to distribute and store the hydrogen fuel. Hydrogen is a gas at room temperature, and explosive when mixed with oxygen. Pressurised tanks are heavy and bulky. So various schemes have been devised to store hydrogen and enable quick, easy refuelling of hydrogen-powered cars. One promising approach relies on sponges made of carbon nanotubes. As its name suggests, a carbon nanotube is an extremely thin carbon tube, just a few nanometres (billionths of a metre) thick, and has the helpful property of being able to hold substantial numbers of molecules of other substances, including hydrogen, on its surface. So it might be possible to run cars on hydrogen ?bricks? made of nanotubes that could be swapped in and out at filling stations. Another approach involves storing the hydrogen as a liquid hydride. The hydrogen is extracted from the liquid to power the fuel cell, and the resulting liquid is stored in a second storage tank. Refuelling the car then involves pumping out the used liquid, and refuelling with fresh sodium borohydride.

Even when a sensible way to deliver and store hydrogen has been found, however, fuel cells are no silver bullet when it comes to eliminating pollution. For there will still be the problem of supplying hydrogen in the first place. Hydrogen does not grow on trees or emerge from wells. Despite being the most abundant element in the universe, on earth it is almost invariably combined with oxygen (in the form of water) or carbon (in the form of various hydrocarbons). Both water and hydrocarbons are plentiful. But extracting hydrogen from water requires lots of energy, which has to come from somewhere. Similarly, extracting hydrogen from hydrocarbons such as natural gas or coal also requires energy. Worse, it produces carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, as a byproduct. In short, while fuel-cell cars are likely to make the air easier to breathe in congested cities, they merely push the pollution problem ?upstream? to the hydrogen plants that will produce the fuel needed to run them.

That is not the car industry?s problem, of course. And there may be some virtue in moving pollution away from the automobile, which will often be in an urban location, to some remote place where humans are barely affected by it. But there is no escape from greenhouse gases, for they make an equal contribution to the atmosphere, and potentially to global warming, wherever they are emitted. The real problem, and one that car makers by definition have no interest in addressing, is western society?s addiction to the car.

Is there an alternative? One person who thinks so is Dean Kamen, an American inventor, who unveiled his much-hyped Segway Human Transporter, a fancy computerised scooter, in December. ?Cars are great for going long distances,? he told Time magazine, ?but it makes no sense at all for people in cities to use a 4,000-lb piece of metal to haul their 150-lb asses around town.? This is undeniable, with or without fuel cells. But Kamen?s vision of the future of transportation was greeted with smirks and laughter. Yet even if you do not agree with his answer, at least Kamen is asking the right question.
Re: More on Hydrogen. - Dan J
Interesting reading - thanks for posting the article Stuart.

This stuff isn't even new - I remember watching a very interesting educational program on this at the start of the 90s when I was still at school.

Stuff fuel cells, with a slightly increased compression ratio, hydrogen will work on a "gas converted" otherwise standard petrol car engine and what is the exhaust product? Water... I know what I'd rather drive out of a car powered by an electric motor and a completely clean internal combustion engine!

I don't think there is a substantial issue with distribution of hydrogen over the long term. Petrol stations who decided they could make money from it have had no trouble installing LPG filling equipment etc...

Biggest issue is the creation of hydrogen. To convert water to it's base elements, hydrogen and oxygen requires a substantial amount of energy which would obviously in turn require a vast number more of power stations, either releasing yet more CO2 or more nuclear waste. I remember a documentary on Channel 4 about a year or two after this program that featured some highly intelligent American who had found some wonderful catalyst and method that would allow the creation of hydrogen using a much smaller amount of energy. He readily admitted after refusing to sell out to the oil companies he had started to receive death threats and all sorts and had people break in and sabotage his equipment. Frightening really! To that end, until things are "forced", I can't see such a profitable (to the producing company AND to the government) way of transporting people about changing for a good while...
Re: More on Hydrogen. - Road Warrior
I thought the idea was that the surplus energy in the power station could be used.

Otherwise solar energy or other renewables could be harnessed for this end.
Re: More on Hydrogen. - John S
RW

Certainly the best option is solar or other renewables otherwise fossil carbon is released, which rather misses the point, does it not? It is also rather inefficient to use a primary fuel, convert it to electricity and then use that to produce hydrogen for vehicles. I imagine direct gasification of the coal would be more efficient, and gases other than hydrogen could be used for other useful purposes.

There is no such thing as 'surplus' electricity from power stations. Electricity generation must always match demand otherwise the grid frequency would not be maintained, and the generating plant is always operated on this basis. Equally electricity is never 'dumped' or 'goes to waste'.

There is, of course, always spare generating capacity available to meet times of peak demand.

Regards

john
Re: More on Hydrogen. - Brian W
A possible way forward, which favours electric propulsion rather than an internal combustion engine, is to combine fuel cells with solar panels, so that the fuel cells simply make up the shortfall in output from the panels.
Re: More on Hydrogen. - Dan J
Very true.

I have other concerns about fuel cells. They have long been trumpeted by the motor industry as the way forward for car propulsion. Interesting that a fuel cell will also run on petrol, converting it to electricity, water vapour and CO2. Can't help but think that this technology will end up being implemented as the new generation of car engines "in readiness" for increased availability of hydrogen. The industry will appear to have done something, the "dirty" internal combustion engine will be made no more, everyone will be happy, yet we'll still be using oil, creating CO2 and keeping the oil companies and government reserves nicely topped up!

Maybe I'm just being pessimitic...

Dan
Re: More on Hydrogen. - Alwyn
Dan,

Don't worry about CO2. It's not a problem and plants love, which is why commercial growers add it to their greenhouses. Greener and lusher.
Re: More on Hydrogen. - Brian W
Could it be something to do with the fact that it is difficult to tax sunshine?
Surplus Electricity - Brian W
That is the trouble with electricity, it cannot be directly stored on a large scale.
I like the idea of the pumped storage sceme near Snowdon in Wales, where water is pumped up from one lake to another when "surplus" i.e. cheap electricity is available and when demand is higher it goes back through the turbines to produce power. The plant is all inside the hillside, so all you see are the reservoirs.
Obviously there are losses, but that kind of thing will have to become more widespread if renewable sources are increased, since wind, tide or sun power generation hardly ever coincides with electricity demand.
Re: Surplus Electricity - John S
Brian

Yes the Dinorwig pumped storage scheme has operated for a number of years. In fact it's not storing a true surplus. The idea is that when there is spare capacity, it can be used to pump water to the top lake. As you can imagine there are losses involved in the process.

At times of peak demand, this water can be released to water turbines, like a hydro-electric plant, providing a very substantial amount of generation (equivalent to a complete 'conventional' power station) in, I think, 20 or 30 seconds. This is an advantage, as conventional generating plant cannot respond on that sort of timescale. Grid stability can therefore be maintained, until the conventional generation plant output can be increased to match the load. This is Dinorwig's key function.

Innogy have recently developed the Regenesys process which stores electricity chemically. This is much smaller scale than Dinorwig, but could be of value to manufacturing plants to cover for power outages, or to allow them to avoid periods of expensive grid prices.

In the UK there is only a relatively small amount or renewable generation available, so it's unlikely it cannot be accomodated when it is available. because of the losses inherent in pumped storage, it is usually preferable to use the renewable electricity when available, and reduce conventional generation to compensate.

With much smaller grids - islands for example, then it may well be that renewable generation occurs at times when demand is lower than supply. In such cases it could be valuable to have a storage system to take advantage of what is a true surplus, when something like batteries or the Regenysys process would be cost effective.

Regards

John
Re: Surplus Electricity - Brian W
John
When I saw the Dinorwig site it was either still under construction of only recently commissioned, shows how long ago it was!.
Apparently its' fast response time comes into its' own at the end of TV programmes (soap operas or football), when a million people switch on the kettle for a cuppa at once.
IMHO, if the Government is serious in its' commitment to renewable supplies, then any large scale renewable source is going to have to be tidal, so pumped storage will have to be used, I can't see any viable alternative.
Regards
Brian
Re: Surplus Electricity - John S
Brian

Yes, remember the Severn Barrage? 6GW if I recall correctly. Very expensive and slow to build, but probably 100 year life. And there's one of the key problems. It didn't stack up financially on any normal timescale, as income did not start until many years after start of construction. A discounted cash flow analysis rules it out, as no conventional lender or investor is interested over that timescale. It is impossible to calculate the return on investment over the project life.

The Government, who would be the only possible sponsors of an infrastructure project of that scale (and remember it comes out of our taxes), don't want a nationalised electricity industry or that sort of burden on the economy and private investors can't afford to build it.

The proposal also raises environmental concerns - we couldn't simply stop the tidal flow for the construction period as the French did with the Rance barrage.

As you rightly say, the issue of energy storage also needs to be addressed. 6GW on a hot summers night would be a little tricky to deal with. Plus I haven't a clue how it would fit in to the New Electricity trading Arrangements!

Maybe one of these days...

regards

John
Re: Surplus Electricity - Brian W
John
You are absolutely right, but that is the very kind of thing that we have governments for, to do things in the national interest which a private individual or a commercial organisation would not be in a position to undertake.

A private individual, for example cannot organise one fifty millionth of the defence of the country. so he delegates it to the government and pays taxes to cover his proportion f the cost.
A private individual in an urban area cannot grow his own food, so he delegates it to a farmer to grow and the supermarket to collect and package it.
A private individual cannot build a road, railway, car or airport, so he delegates those functions and pays taxes or charges for his share.

If a government cannot look beyond the next election then they are failing in their duty. I am sick of short-termism!
Regards
Brian