Yet another Focus problem...<sigh> - PhiL P
Got another problem with my late '99 2.0 Focus which is rather odd - a handful of times over the past month I've been driving the car and suddenly the dashboard lights start flickering, then the dashboard ignition lights all light up for a few seconds as if the car has stalled, before extinguishing again. Had a look at the car-by-car breakdown but can't see anything that matches.

Yesterday this happened, dashboard lights flickered for a few seconds, then the ignition lights flashed on, the rev-counter needle swung-round to maximum and back, and the trip-computer and clock reset themselves, like some sort of electrics reset or diagnostic had occured. The engine remained at tickover throughout.

Anyone got any ideas? I smell another expensive trip to the Ford garage, not what I need when my other-half is about to drop with our first!
Re: Yet another Focus problem...<sigh> - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Could be a charging system fault. Unless I am mistaken the Focus has an ECU controlled charging system (WHY!!!!!!) so may have flagged up a fault code a dealer could read off.
HTH
Andrew.
Re: Yet another Focus problem...<sigh> - Brian
Phil,

I had exactly the same fault on my 2000 2.0 Focus Estate. Took it back under warranty and they changed the re-circulation motor which is located in the passenger footwell area (it was making a loud ticking noise). Problem solved, although the dealer couldn't explain why!