No MOT penalty? - joeuk
Opps, just been involved in a minor traffic accident in which police attended and gave me a producer for insurance cert, driving license, MOT.

I have just sorted through and found the MOT ran out 5 days before the producer - most upsetting. Just had the car MOT'd and it now has a valid MOT.

Does anybody no what the fine is for this? money/points etc? Is there any lenancy in this situations? Also what bearing does no MOT have on insurance?

I have done a google search and have had varied and conflicting results regarding both penalties and effect on insurance, so any personal experience would be very much appreciated?

Cheers

Joe
No MOT penalty? - Robin Reliant
Fine is to a maximum of £1000, no points. I think it is generally round the thirty quid mark in reality.

Not sure on the insurance, might depend on whose fault the accident was.
No MOT penalty? - No FM2R
You need to look at your insurance policy to understand exactly the effect it will have on your insurance.

It will call usually for the car to be maintained in a road worthy condition. Although some policies do ask specifically for an MOT - currently few, but it does seem to be growing.

Did it pass the MOT without issue ? If so, then you're unlikely to have any issue with your insurance. If you needed a lot of work done, and if any of that work would have affected the accident, then it may be different.

No MOT penalty? - Colonel Panic
Just take it in and they probably won't notice. The person at the desk is just that, not a Police officer, look carefully, the uniform is phoney. They didn't notice when this happened to me 10 or so years ago anyway, but then we live in changing times.
No MOT penalty? - joeuk
No probs with the MOT it passed ok, no problems with the accident as it was not my fault. Tescos was the insurere, I'll have to route out the policy and have a look. The main concern is the producer, perhaps they'll be leniant if the notice??!?!? hmm..
No MOT penalty? - Hawesy1982
They won't notice - how would they?

You take in a valid MOT certificate - they don't have the previous one to show that the car was un-MOT'ed for 5 days.

You'll be fine.
No MOT penalty? - Dwight Van Driver
>>>>They won't notice - how would they?<<<<<

Because the Producer (HO/RT/1) will be before the date the MOT was issued unless tested the same day as RT 1 given.

Take both the old certificate and the new and explain to BiB as above.

Whilst technically an offence of using without test certificate committed, becuase of the new one issued in such a short time this should attract a caution or NFA.

dvd
No MOT penalty? - Dwight Van Driver
...ooops forgot. As far as third party Insurance risk is concerned then an out of date MOT will have no effect on Insurance at Criminal Law.

Could feature in Civil Law as a tool to show vehicle not maintained and give Ins Co power to claw back what they paid out in third party risk.

dvd
No MOT penalty? - Robin Reliant
Not too sure on the producer. You have been asked to show the police that you had all the nescessary documents on the day you were stopped, not the day you produce them.

Depends whether the police are willing to believe you have since lost the MoT certificate or whether there is a central database on which they can check. If you claim you had one and they can prove you hadn't, then you are looking at a far more serious situation.

Telling untruths is likely to lead to all sorts of grief.