golf gti mk2 8v or 16v?? - r3d_dwarf
Im selling my trusty cavalier to enable me to buy a golf mk2 gti, im looking and i prefer the small bumper model i.e up to 1989 3 door but only problem is what type of engine the standard 8valve or the 16 valve? which out of the two is more reliable or any known faults i should be looking at when buying either model?
i had an insurance quote for a 16v and it was only 270 quid a year fully comp. so insurance is not a problem as im an old git at 35! (lol)
anyway any help and advise is appreciated.
gary
golf gti mk2 8v or 16v?? - Xileno {P}
The MK 2 was the last of the 'proper' GTI's. Nice cars and pretty much bomb-proof. Synchromesh wears on second gear. I would go for the 16V. Your biggest problem will be finding one that hasn't been thrashed, trashed or modified. They are around but can fetch daft money.
golf gti mk2 8v or 16v?? - Happy Blue!
Go for 16v any day. I like the big bumpers, but look very hard for a very good one and don't touch anything else.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
golf gti mk2 8v or 16v?? - Happy Blue!
PS

The Mk2 had two facelifts. Don't know if the 16v came inthe original version, buy first facelift removed the front quarterlights and made some other improvements that are really worth having and the second was the big bumper edition. I had a post first facelift CL 5-door and Driver 3-door. They both had good rides and plenty of space. Funnily enough, the higher profile tyred CL had a better handling characteristics and sharper steering.

They both let water into the car becuase of a broken plastic membrane in the door panel - easy to fix with duck tape!.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
golf gti mk2 8v or 16v?? - steveo3002
16v are best...worth waiting for a nice original non boy racered one

try www.clubgti.com they have a forum with all the advice you can need
golf gti mk2 8v or 16v?? - Skody
16v definately. I have owned both and would never go back to an 8 valve after driving a 16v. Try looking at the club GTI website you should get a good one there. Good luck with whatever you get.
golf gti mk2 8v or 16v?? - cheddar
I would go big bumper, newer, better colours and trim, wife had a 1.8 GL which had the leaking door membrane problem, very common on these cars (reckon I might have a membrane in the garage still), the 16v is great though more fragile and harder to repair, the 8v was very tunable, a common kit was the GTi Engineering one that gave the 8v 135bhp, much the same as the 16v and more low down grunt with it.
golf gti mk2 8v or 16v?? - Ben {P}
I dont think the 16v is more fragile. The 8v cars have worse quality valve guides and these tend to wear out. You then have to have the head reconditioned. Also the bottom ends are weaker, so is the oil pump, so is the gearbox.

I would deffinately go for a 16v car, but if you get a latter model (88 on) swap the inlet manifold for a 42mm one from an earlier car, or from a later golf/corrado or passat engine for better mid-range power.

The 8v engine isnt very tuneable, to get 135bhp will take a lot of work and money. For power you need to get the head ported and a new cam. If you spent the same on a 16v you could even get as much as 160bhp.
golf gti mk2 8v or 16v?? - SjB {P}
16v all the way if you can find a good one.

Back when they were new, I drove both many times; one friend had an 8v on an F plate, another a 16v on an E plate, and another a 16v on an F plate, all three door.

The 8v initially appeared perky having lots of bottom and mid range torque, but ran out of puff pretty quickly. I rang its neck round the Nordschleiff (original Nurburgring), and was left wanting more.

The 16v on the other hand was terrific. Torque-shy from idle, it had a strong mid range and storming top end. Revved to 7,000 RPM and beyond it sounded pretty good for a road going four pot motor, too.

I don't think it was coincidence that the two 16v owners kept their Golfs much longer than the 8v owner did.

golf gti mk2 8v or 16v?? - cheddar
I don't think it was coincidence that the two 16v owners
kept their Golfs much longer than the 8v owner did.

Cos you pranged the 8v at the Carousel? ;-)

golf gti mk2 8v or 16v?? - r3d_dwarf
its interesting to see that of todays cars how many will last and be as popular as a near 20 year old golf gti let alone last that long thats why i like them overall a good quality reliable car thanks for the good advice guys.
gary