Mondeo Rear Bumper - Galaxy
Some time ago I managed to back my Mk 2 Mondeo, on a dark and wet night, into a concrete fence post. The overall effect of this is that I now have a large amount of silver gaffer tape holding the parts together. A very large up-down split is now there after this mishap, covered up by the tape.

I clearly need a new bumper!

However, I don't particularly wish to claim on my insurance for this since it will use up one step of my protected no claims for an accident which didn't involve another vehicle, i.e. I have, in this instance, the option of whether to claim or not.

I have an estimate from my local Ford Main Dealer for about £500 inclusive, but, the car's probably only worth about £2000 now and that's quite a large proportion of the cars actual value!

I would like to get the car repaired, but more cheaply than the £500 FMD quote. Trouble is, I could go to an independent who might do it a bit cheaper, but the genuine Ford part costs £185.

I have seen pattern-part bumpers advertised on Ebay, some of which can even be sprayed the "right" colour for an additional fee. I just wondered whether anyone in the BR had purchased one of these, and, if so, what was their experience, good or bad?

Would be very grateful for any advice or suggestions,

Many Thanks,

Galaxy
Mondeo Rear Bumper - Happy Blue!
Frankly I would buy a new pattern part back bumper and just bolt it on. You could always paint it up yourself using spray paint.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Mondeo Rear Bumper - Adam {P}
I'll be honest, if you get charged anything more than £150 for a bumper respay, I'd say you're dangerously close to being ripped off. But I suppose it depends on where you are.
--
Adam
Mondeo Rear Bumper - Altea Ego
Can it flap around any worse that the Ford part? I mean follow any of these things down the road and the rear bumber is like a fishes tail being chased by a pike!
Mondeo Rear Bumper - SjB {P}
A friend of mine once solved a similar problem by buying from a scrappy (sorry, vehicle dismantler) the rear bumper of a same-model car that had been front-ended.

Colour match was not perfect - the replacement bumper was newer and he never much cared for his paintwork, which was a little faded - but this would have applied with a cheap "not blended in' respray anway and the result was a whole lot tidier than a cracked bumper.
Mondeo Rear Bumper - henry k
Frankly I would buy a new pattern part back bumper and
just bolt it on. You could always paint it up
yourself using spray paint.
--

I too have split my rear bumper and have been investigating how to remove it and cost of replacement.

e.g.
www.panelmatch.co.uk/ecomcart/list.php?p=2
£100 plus vat & delivery in the correct colour.
The www.fordmondeo.org/ boys seem to be happy with this sort of company.

From what I deduce there are just 6 main fixings.
Two in the boot lip - Torx. Two on view near the bottom of the wheel arch
Need to ease the plastic wheel arch liner to access the last two.
Finally a minor attachment -
Some rear bumpers have one bracket at the middle bottom but others have two. Mine has 1 but will get 2 to reduce it flapping a little.

I assume the cutout for the exhaust pipe is the same on all models?

Murphys law - I have to drill out a mudflap clamp screw to move the wheel arch liner.
Mondeo Rear Bumper - MichaelR
Buy a used genuine Ford rear bumper on Ebay. It's cheap and easy and there are often lots there becuase people remove the standard bumpers to fit the RSAP/ST24 rear bumpers.

Then have it sprayed up, and it'll look as good as new.

I'm DIY-retarded yet I managed to re-fit the ST24 rear bumper to my car without issue. The ones with two brackets are for the deeper ST bumper IIRC.
Mondeo Rear Bumper - carl233
I prefer genuine parts rather than fitting so called poor alternative offerings however I have to confess that Mondeo bumpers are perhaps an exception to the rule.

When I purchased my Mondeo MK2 it had a crack in the front bumper. I sourced, sprayed and fitted a pattern part for under £70 and the fit was identical I found it not possible to determine the difference. The bumper has now been on the vehicle for 55k miles. Some pattern parts are poorly tooled up but most seem to be more than acceptable.
Mondeo Rear Bumper - Imagos
I assume the cutout for the exhaust pipe is the same
on all models?

No they're not. V6 variants have the exhaust on the o/s whereas 1.6/1.8 are on the n/s although i'm sure when the car was made dictates this as i've seen a few o/s exhausts that are clearly NOT V6's. The only model with twin tailpipes as standard was the ST200. Any else you see are retro fitted.

Mondeo Rear Bumper - Miller
2 litre Mk 1's also have an O/S tailpipe but it may have reverted to the N/S on the Mk2 (Late 96 on)
2 litre Mk 1's also have an O/S tailpipe but it may have reverted to the N/S on the Mk2 (Late 96 on)

My 98 2 litre has N/S tailpipe.

Thanks Imagos for filling it the details on the bummers cutouts.
Mondeo Rear Bumper - Stuartli
I wonder why they are called bumpers these days...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Mondeo Rear Bumper - mare
I wonder why they are called bumpers these days...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

Or why wings are called wings?
No they're not. V6 variants have the exhaust on the o/s
whereas 1.6/1.8 are on the n/s although i'm sure when the
car was made dictates this as i've seen a few o/s
exhausts that are clearly NOT V6's. The only model with twin
tailpipes as standard was the ST200. Any else you see are
retro fitted.

As far as the Mk2 is concerned, all V6 models are as you say exiting on the right hand side unless its an ST200. However, early 4 cylinder models, most of which can be found on P plates, also have right hand exit exhuasts. Certainly from R plate onwards it was moved to the left where it remained until the end of production. Virtually every 4 cylinder Mondeo you see has a left hand exit.

The only exception is cars where the exhuast has been moved over to the right, like mine.
Mondeo Rear Bumper - Gazza
For 1993 to 2000,
- Mondeo 1.6 & 1.8 have two exhaust silencer boxes after the catalytic convertor and the tail-pipe exits on the near-side (left-side)
- Mondeo 2.0 & 2.5 have three exhaust silencer boxes after the catalytic convertor and the tail-pipe exits on the off-side (right-side)
- The rear bumper has an addition lower bumper trim which is shaped for either left or right side tail-pipe and the same bumper can be used for all models.
BTW, I am not an anorack, I just used to have Mondeos and worked on them.
For 1993 to 2000,
- Mondeo 2.0 & 2.5 have three exhaust silencer boxes after
the catalytic convertor and the tail-pipe exits on the off-side (right-side)

Well my 98 2.0 Ghia X auto saloon has two exhaust silencer boxes after its new catalytic converter and the tail pipe exits on the nearside.
From the catalytic converter backwards the exhaust is all in one piece, not jointed, so I suspect it is original.
For 1993 to 2000,

- Mondeo 2.0 & 2.5 have three exhaust silencer boxes after
the catalytic convertor and the tail-pipe exits on the off-side (right-side)

This is not true. Virtually all 2.0 after 97 are nearside exit. My 99V certainly was, our 98R certainly was, and every R plate onwards Mondeo I've seen has been. You are correct about the 2.5 though.

- The rear bumper has an addition lower bumper trim which
is shaped for either left or right side tail-pipe and the
same bumper can be used for all models.

Again, are you sure about this? The standard Mk2 rear bumper simply has a cutout at the bottom of the bumper for the exhuast. It isn't in two pieces and you can't use the same bumper for either side exit.
Mondeo Rear Bumper - Adam {P}
I'm 99% sure the exhaust on my Dad's V6 came out of the near side.

My logic to remember such a bold claim? Simple. He always backed it in the drive and there was a fence on the hand side so it would have been impossible for me to cut my arm on it whilst reaching for the ball that had gone under the car!
--
Adam
Just looked up the TSB again and you are all correct for the post-98 model. My description above is for the pre-facelift ones (93-96) and some of the early post-facelifted (96-97), which had the transition phase ECM (basically an EEC-IV with added functionality but not quite EEC-V). Please correct me if I'm wrong but I seemed to remember that the rounded bumpers no longer had the lower bumper but instead you have to cut out the tail-pipe exit. The early car's bumpers definitely had a lower bumper trim which determines the the tail-pipe exits and no cutting of the bumper is required. Many apologies for confusion.
Forgot to add that the description is for standard car and not those with the lower, body-kit versions (SI, ST-24...).
Mondeo Rear Bumper - Imagos
I'm 99% sure the exhaust on my Dad's V6 came out
of the near side.

Oh Adam i'm afraid you're 100% wrong!