Viewing a car in Waltham Cross - Blue {P}
I'm hoping someone can help me out here, I've seen a car advertised on Autotrader that I'm very interested in buying, the only problem is it's sitting on a garage forecourt over 200 miles from me.

Would any Backroomers be in the Waltham Cross area over the weekend and be able to take a look at the car for me? It's sitting on the forecourt so should be easy to look at, all I'm interested in is whether the car is visually in good condition, no dents, and no car wash damage to the paint finish etc.

I'd be mega grateful if anyone can help me out with this, as I don't want to travel 200 miles to turn around and come back because it's all scratched!

The car is a black Focus TDCi Sport.

Thanks in advance.

Blue
Viewing a car in Waltham Cross - Vansboy
Cant the garage mail you a load of pics??

At least you'd get a bit more of an idea, of it's presentation.

VB
Viewing a car in Waltham Cross - cockle {P}
TIC, due to the roadworks on the M25 at the Holmesdale Tunnel I should imagine quite a lot of people will be passing through Waltham Cross this weekend!

Unfortunately can't help as I won't be one of them!
I've got to admit I hadn't thought of asking them to do that! I might give it a go over the weekend, although to be honest I suspect that they'll be a bit busy over the weekend anyway.

What I didn't have time to ask earlier on is whether the car is a good deal.

It's a 53 reg Focus TDCi Sport, 27K miles, metallic black with apparently a service history and it's up for £8,000.

Now from looking at the Autotrader site, there are only 11 other cars for sale in the country, this looks like a very decent price to me but as always, I want the opinions of other backroomers!

Blue
Viewing a car in Waltham Cross - Adam {P}
I'm afraid you're far more qualified than me on both prices and Fords Blue but I do like the TDCi Sport.

Don't you get the half leather heated seats on them?
--
Adam
Yeah, 17" Alloys, Half leather, ST170 front bumper, 6 CD player, A/C etc. etc. I want it, I want it now, and if averything goes exceptionally well then I might have it in time for the meet! :-)

I'm thinking that the price is very good if the car is tidy, it's probably just about average if the car is a little bit tatty. If it's tidy then it is actually worth me travelling 200 miles I reckon!

Blue
I may be turning up in a Fiesta,

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=33...0

But I'd look forward to seeing your new Focus if you had it. I imagine the ST170 bumper in black would look very nice.

You say 6 disc CD player - is that the 6006 stereo or an aftermarket changer?
--
Adam

I prefer the idea of a front loading in dash changer anyway, far easier than something mounted under a seat or in the boot!

Hope that the Focus belt turns out to be something innocent!

Here's a pic:-

tinyurl.com/8krp2

Blue
Forgot to add that the advert itself seems to have vanished, which I take as a very bad sign that the car has gone already!

I only have the picture as I had the link to it in my history.

Blue
I like that car a lot. You could do a lot worse than buy some ST170 lights for a ton. I don't normally like "modding" but that would look pretty cool on that car.

Are they MP3 alloys?

(Hope it hasn't been sold by the way but if it has, take it as a sign)

--
Adam
(Hope it hasn't been sold by the way but if it
has, take it as a sign)
--
Adam

I decided to take the risk and call them to put a deposit on the car without seeing it over the phone as I was getting twitchy as the weekend is wearing on, sure enough, it sold an hour before I rang.

So when you said take it as a sign, I presume you meant to take it as a sign that it was actually a reasonably good condition, cheap car that I've let slip through my fingers because I was nervous of not having seen it myself! :-(

I hadn't thought of fitting ST170 lights, but that would look pretty cool actually, although it may suit a different colour car to the black one, as black lights on a black car may make it lose some of it's definition.

Blue
Sorry to hear that Blue. I did mean take it as a sign that it wasn't the car for you...but it did look pretty damn good ;-) Sorry sorry!

Re the ST170 lights, not that it matters now but I thought the same as you until the son of a neighbour came around in his "real" ST170 in black. I hadn't seen one before but it looked very nice. The way the lights are tinted (probably because they're meant to be tinted and not someone modding them) I think it pulls off the cool car look even in black.

Anyway - good luck car hunting. I can think of worse pursuits than spending 8 grand....

a lot worse.
--
Adam
I'm just about to trawl Ebay again in case one has come up on-line.

I've seen two of them in this price range now, but only two, so I'm just going to keep looking and hope that another one comes up!

I know it's definately the car for me, I remember drooling over the only one that we had in stock when I worked at Ford! :-)

Blue
Is it definitely going to be a TDCi Sport or are you a little flexible?
--
Adam
So long as it is a TDCi I don't really mind, provided it isn't an LX, or a CL, and preferably not a Zetec (although I could be flexible there)

That leaves, erm, Sport and Ghia I think. :-)

Blue
You'd pay a lot for a TDCi Ghia though wouldn't you? Would it be worth it?

Why not a Zetec if you don't mind me asking. Didn't they just firm up the suspension? Or have they pulled the usual trick of calling an integral system like...I don't know...BRAKES as an extra?

(I'm searching Autotrader now if it's any help.)
--
Adam
Viewing a car in Waltham Cross - blue_haddock
Is it definitely going to be a TDCi Sport or are
you a little flexible?

No Adam he doesn't want a metallic biege booted focus!
Damn. Foiled again.

Is 02 too old Blue? I didn't realise 7 grand would get a TDCi as new as that but there are loads around here. There's a cracker for £7050 but it's silver. Looks a bit boring to be honest.
--
Adam
02 is just starting to get outside my margin of acceptability really, I'd consider one if it were mint and cheap enough, but when it is occasionally possible to get a 53 reg Sport for £8K, I would take some persuading that a Ghia was a good buy!

I wouldn't rule out a Zetec, I know my main reasons for not being overly keen are silly but here they are:-

1) The alloys are too common and plain

2) No body colour plastics

3) No standard fit 6 CD player.

The 04 model Ghia fixes all of those faults, I know the alloys on the last Ghias weren't stunning, but they were smarter than Zetec. Also the Ghia 115 has Digital Climate instead of A/C, which I would like, and I also vastly prefer the standard of interior finish (electrics all round, chrome handles, lumbar support, two courtesy lights etc.)

I reckon an 04 model TDCi Ghia can be had for under £10K in reasonable condition is I look around.

The problem is now that I've seen the Sport, I want that instead, sure it doesn't have digital climate, but it does have 6 disc, smart alloys, half leather and above all else, it's the type of Focus that I think suits me better, I like the sporty look.

Just gotta keep searching now. Shame there's only 11 left in the country on Autotrader :-(

Blue