Dealer History 2 - Pete Williams
I drive my own W reg 1.8 Avensis - cash for car company driver - and have had it dealer serviced according to the book since I bought it from a car supermarket. This was primarily for warranty purposes which expire soon at 60K, a cambelt change is due at 63K for which I'll send it to the dealer also. A major service is due at 27K intervals but intermediate services seem to be little more than a few visual checks and an oil change for £100ish. I intend to do the intermediate services myself after the cambelt change and dealer service at the 27K interval I drive about 40k a year so it will still receive good attention really.

I just wondered if anybody has any thoughts on this procedure, I intend to drive it for at least another 2 years when it will have the best part of 150K on the clock so resale with dealer history may not be that relevant.

Any comments - thanks.
Re: Dealer History 2 - crazed idiot
just let halfords do all the work once its out of guarantee

cheaper
you can watch them do the work
oil change is similar price to you buying the oil yourself
big company to hassle if they make a mistake
you dont get you hands dirty
Re: Dealer History 2 - Keith
Halfords garages are now owned by the AA
Re: Dealer History 2 - Dave
By the time you've driven a car to Halfords for an oil change you could have done it yourself!
Re: Dealer History 2 - Don
Does this include the time spent going and buying the oil, filter, waste pan and then going to a licensed waste disposal site to get rid of the old oil?
Re: Dealer History 2 - Dave
Fair point.

Although the stinging nettles at the bottom of my garden get the benifit of my old oil so I don't waste too much time going to a LWDS. ;-)

Just out of interest what do Halfords charge for oil + filter.
Re: Dealer History 2 - David Millar
I too used engine oil a few years ago on stinging nettles and it did a very good job, coupled with the now mostly-banned 2,4,5-T (a close relative of Agent Orange).

Technically, since hydrocarbon mineral oils are commonly used with herbicides as adjuvants to aid their spread and stickiness, I would surmise it may be legal to dispose of engine oil by adding a dash of garden herbicide and applying it to waste ground. Anti-social and not recommended for roses! However, it does save on the use of more fossil fuel taking it to the council disposal point.

David
What to do with old engine oil. - Dave
My Dad mixes it 50/50 with Creosote and paints fences with it.

You know what? It works!
Re: What to do with old engine oil. - David W
Dave,

Same here. Of course I would advise old diesel oil rather than from petrols for the good of your posts. Also keeps a darker look to fences for years longer than any shade of creosote.

Only problem is I've been forced to fence everything in sight here just to keep up with the oil supply, nearly a losing battle.

What then?

David
Re: What to do with old engine oil. - Mark (Brazil)
> Only problem is I've been forced to fence everything in sight
> here just to keep up with the oil supply, nearly a losing
> battle.
>
> What then?

Put your slippers on, grab the pressure washer, clean it all off and start the process all over again.

Mark.
Re: What to do with old engine oil. - Phil P
David, have you considered decking? A gazebo perhaps? ;o)
Re: What to do with old engine oil. - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Worried the hell out of me when my local Chinese throw-away proprietor asked me to let him have the old oil back out of his car. Thought the crispy aromatic duck had been tasting funny for a while - don't go there any more !!

Reglards, Adam
Re: What to do with old engine oil. - Ronnie Courtney
Adam - Worried me even more when I was chatting with a surgeon before he removed a vital part of my anatomy, and I asked him what they did with what they removed. His answer "We wait until we have enough, then sell them to a Chinese restaurant"! I've never touched a Chinese (meal) since.

Ronnie
Re: What to do with old engine oil. - Dave
Too right DW! It looks great and lasts forever! Sadly as he's a company car driver he relies on two Pug 106's to provide old oil. (Mum + Sister)

When I was a kid he'd give my mum's car an early change and let me put the old oil from my mum's car in my W reg Jetta.

Happy days.
Dave,

>and let me put the old oil from my mum's car in my W reg Jetta.

Your Dad started you off on a certain way of thinking that still holds today?!

I think the only way to sort the oil supply imbalance is a pipeline from here to your Dad's.

David
Re: What to do with old engine oil. - Dave
Your Dad started you off on a certain way of thinking that still holds today?!

> Yep! Although now I'm proud to say that I can afford brand new oil.

I think the only way to sort the oil supply imbalance is a pipeline from here to your Dad's.

> Sounds good. He's also short of decent whisky and cash. So three pipelines are required to fully redress the imbalances...
Decking is a bit new man for me.

Would it blend with the traditional Fenland rusty corrugated tin and black bitumen buildings.

David