Mitsubishi Galant - suspension noises - AngryJonny
Hi there

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Galant V6-24 Auto. I recently had new brake disks and pads on all wheels (don't know if this is related or not) but since then it seems to have developed a sort-of clonk or rattle when going over small bumps at lowish speeds.

The problem seems to occur on tiny bumps (like running over a catseye or a small rut or pothole) when doing urban speeds - 30mph or thereabouts. At higher speeds and on bigger bumps it doesn't seem to be a problem - the suspension does its job with no fuss.

The noise seems to come from the front and it sounds pretty fundamental - ie it's something rattling in amongst the suspension or against the chassis or something, rather than a mudflap jiggling or something. It sounds like something is very loose but travels a very short distance, and it sounds like metal against metal. I thought it came from the near-side and my dad thought the same, but it seems to happen regardless of which front wheel hits a bump.

I've had the near-side front wheel off and nothing behind there seems to be loose except the disk itself, which I gather is tightened by the wheel itself being put in place. Just thought I'd throw the question to the knowledgable folks here before I take it to a garage to be told "it's just this nut needs tightening" or "your car's a write off".

Thanks in advance...
Mitsubishi Galant - suspension noises - Pete M
I don't have any immediate answers myself, but if you go to www.clubvr4.com there are lots of experts. This is a club for the VR-4 version of your car, but the suspension should be almost exactly the same as yours. You can get access to all but the members' area by registering, and there are a number of specific forums (fora?) dealing with suspension and brakes, and non-VR-4 Galants and Legnums (Galant Estates). Several of the members own or have owned V6-24s, so I'm sure they will come up with an answer or (depending where you live) some hands-on advice. Note: I am a member of Club VR-4, but out here in New Zealand.
Mitsubishi Galant - suspension noises - AngryJonny
Thanks for the help... I'll go and sign up.