Mondeo 1.8 Zetec Timing belt or chain? - Indy
I have a Mondeo 1.8 Zetec on a 51 plate. Since having acquired the car recently, I decided the check when the timing belt was changed only to be advised that Mondeo?s don?t have timing belts, but have timing CHAINS.

Being a novice on technical matters, could anyone let me know whether this is true or not and if it does indeed have timing chains, do they have to be changed?

John's comments on the Ford Mondeo 24v 6-speed Road Test ( www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=118 ) didn?t help matters as he mentioned changing a timing belt on his Mondeo and in the specifications immediately below says they have timing chains.

Thanks
Mondeo 1.8 Zetec Timing belt or chain? - Chas{P}
If your Mondeo is the earlier 93-00 shape then yes it has a belt. If it is the later shape (most probably is as it's a 51 plate) then it has a chain.

HTH

Charles
Mondeo 1.8 Zetec Timing belt or chain? - carl233
This engine has a chain, as it will be a MK3 Mondeo fitted with the Duratec unit. The MK1 and MK2 had the Zetec-E unit which was belt driven. The Zetec-E unit was discontinued and never fitted to MK3 examples. I understand that the Duratec is an engine designed by Mazda and is constructed in the Far East, hope this information helps.
Mondeo 1.8 Zetec Timing belt or chain? - Waino
Is a chain used in the 2.0, as well as the 1.8 units of Mk3 Mondeos? And ... a very basic question ... can a timing chain be expected to last the lifetime of a vehicle? Thanks, Waino
Mondeo 1.8 Zetec Timing belt or chain? - S.A.K.R
The 2.0 duratech also has a chain.

If the rest of the car is treated very well then eventually the chain will need to be replaced before the car is scrapped , but it would be into 6 figures before this will happen.