Peugeot 306. Vibration & noise.. - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
I'm probably being thick/gullible here, but....

My Pug 306 is nearly 6 years old, 65k miles, and having the first round of mechanical bits replaced, exhaust, timing belt and so on.
I've had an annoying vibration on the front, like the wheels are out of balance, and squeaking/clicking/cracking noise on cornering, (anything off centre really) for a while so have been trying to cure it - but with no success.
So far I've replaced the lower arm bushes, anti roll bars, and had the wheels tracked and balanced.
I know the brake discs are thin, but not ready for changing.
No change to the noises though.
A friend said that wheel bearings were 'indestructable these days', and suspension 'should last to 80k miles at least'.

Is he right?
What am I Missing? - John24
Sounds like classic CV joint failure.
What am I Missing? - Stargazer {P}
CV joints can make a repetitive cracking noise on cornering if worn?

Not sure about lifetime of wheel bearings, but havent done one since a Chevette in early 80s

StarGazer
What am I Missing? - sierraman
In a word-no.All wheel bearings wear out at some point,suspension depends on design and how you drive.Clicking noises on cornering would be CV joint.
What am I Missing? - Hawesy1982
Depends on the type of usage your car gets (motorway vs school run, speed humps or farm tracks etc).

You say you've changed the anti-roll bar - you mean the drop-links right? These very often fail, and cause clonking.

If the roll bar isn't screwed in fully (as found on a friend's 306) this will also happen.

Then again it could also be a wheel bearing - it is a Peugeot after all!

PS Should this be in technical?
What am I Missing? - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
>PS Should this be in technical?

I wasn't sure myself.
I was hoping someone would explain if there had been some massive leap in reliability in bearings since my old minis and metros. The friend, an engineer, said with some conviction that the new sealed units did not fail.
This just seemed daft to me.
What am I Missing? - Dynamic Dave
PS Should this be in technical?

Probably ----> Kick. (with an amended subject header thrown in for good measure)

DD.
What am I Missing? - madf
I suspect the biggest advances in bearing technolgy fo cars has been in the design and use of seals to prevent the ingress of dirt or water.

As far as the 306 is concerned, a grovelling look at the CV joints may show splits in the rubber and possibly grease being thrown all over the place..

Other suggestions are collapsed engine or gearbox mounts ...

(I think the French design some lovely cars: pity they can't build them properly. I exclude Citroen who manage to design cars to make them as user unfriendly as possible and for the elctronics to progressively fail after 5-7 years through corrosion...)

madf

What am I Missing? - Crinkly Dave
I would go for CV joints rather than bearings, but get someone with an experienced ear to test it on a large car park for you.

What am I Missing? - dieselhead
Had to replace wheel bearings on 2 306's at 90 and 120k miles - caused noises. They are supposed to be sealed and last the lifetime of the vehicle but the grease packing dries out and the bearing fails.
Bounce car with bonnet open and check for excessive movement in strut top mount - the bonding between rubber and metal fails. Might also be worth checking strut top bearing isn't running dry or rough and the bottom suspension balljoint. Only use gen peugeot wishbone bushes as the pattern parts dont last .Driveshafts don't seem to give much trouble on these.
Rubber axle mountings also fail so may need replacing if excess noise from rear.

What am I Missing? - Andrew-T
>Then again it could also be a wheel bearing - it is a Peugeot after all!<

In my limited experience, much more durable than those on a Renault. One bearing needed on about 15 Pugs, compared to only one Renault. Draw your own conclusion.
Peugeot 306. Vibration & noise.. - hm
Hello,

Check the drive shaft, is the gater split? can you see grease spray on the rear side of the wheel and other components? If a gaiter is split then it WILL be a shaft...

Jack the car up.....hold the wheel at 9&3 o'clock, rock it, can you feel any play? 12&6..play? If so, it is the wheel bearing (more likely than D.Shaft)

Go to a car park....turn the baby on full lock and drive round in first/second...listen for a clonking noise (not a rumble) if you can not hear a clunking noise and just a rumble, it is probably just a wheel bearing,,,,,,as for sealed for life, bull....I do not know a machine less a car that does not need new bearing about 80K.

I hope this helps....If you live anywhere near Leicesterhire let me know.....

Peugeot 306. Vibration & noise.. - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
Thank you for all the advice and info.
I will investigate when it stops raining here, and let you know what I find.

Simon