Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - chippy001
I would like to know if any other x-trail owners have had a problem with the turbo.
I have an 8month old X-trail 2.2dci SVE.
I was driving up the road when I smelled burning and then smoke coming from the engine. I immediately pulled over and called the breakdown company. On examination it was discovered that there was a problem with either the seals or the turbo itself.
It was then taken on the truck to the nissan dealer where it is awaiting a new turbo.
I bought the x-trail after a lot of research and am now disappointed that this has happened.
I would be really grateful to know if anyone has had this problem or any other problems with this model.
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - Graeme
I have a primera 2.2 with the same engine, I had the first turbo repaired but it failed again within in three days.I now have a new turbo all seems well for now.First one lasted two years.
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - Dude - {P}
Sorry to hear of your problem after only 8 months, just out of interest at what sort of mileage did your turbo failure occur and did you allow the unit to spool down before turning the engine off??????
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - chippy001
The mileage on the car is 8000miles. We bought it when it had done around 4500miles.
Yes we allowed the car to idle before turning the engine off.
Have now had a new unit fitted, so here's hoping we have no more trouble!!?
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - bimmer-driver
This is the Renault engine isn't it? If so there are so many problems showing up with them now its unbelievable, and yes the turbo is one of the most common things to go wrong with them. Along with the intercooler and EGR valve. Theres more on the Parkers forum.
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - Dude - {P}
I suspected the premature failure was due to the Renault sourced engine as Japanese sourced units are thoroughly engineered.
At the end of the day this sort of problem will unfortunately impact on Nissan`s former impeccable reputation for reliability.
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - Aprilia
I think the 'Di' has the Nissan Y22 engine, whereas the dCi has the Renault engine - with usual Renault engine reliability! Its a great shame that Renault engines are being put into Nissans - it will have a devastating impact on Nissan's reputation.
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - Dave N
I know that at one Nissan workshop I visit, the new Micra alone has doubled the warranty hours for the whole workshop.
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - FatDogMendoza
Does the primera diesel use a Renault or Nissan engine.??
Some are advertised as DI, some as Dci ???
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - bimmer-driver
The Dci is Renault, DI Nissan
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - Ben79
The Dci is Renault, DI Nissan

I don't think so. The X-Trail Dci is a chain driven engine! The Laguna has a belt.

Ben
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - reg
Oh yes! I bought a new x trail at the end of 2004. After noting on the internet that there had been a major problem with the turbo unit i contacted customer service who informend me (when i finally managed to get hold of someone), that ther garage where it was serviced should have flagged up the problem and dealt with it - they hadn't. So to cut a long story short i informed the garage that ther turbo needed a check - they ended upchanging the turbo, engine management controls and the feul filler tube. Prior to this episode the engine had been running very lumpy at idle - missing quite a lot. It still did it after the new fittings. I suggested that because the turbo had been overboosting it may have caused some damage to the engine. They of course said this was not the case - no faults found on diagnostics - but they accepted the problem was real. The garage suggested it may be a feul pump problem, but until it fails they couldn't do anything about it. After trying to get some satisfaction from nissan customer service - (they just kept on referrring me back to the garage - diabolical), i finally gave up and part exchanged it for a proper vehicle. Sufice to say after my experience i will never buy a nissan again.
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - googolplex
Further to the source of this engine, I test drove one and had it confirmed that this was the Nissan engine, unfortunately rebadged to look as though it has come from the Renault stable. The sales guy was quite adamant in ensuring that I was aware of these facts - he obviously knew what I was thinking. He was unable to confirm that future variants might not have Renault parts. I would have thought Renault should source it's engines from Nissan, not vice versa.

Regarding turbos, this is a known fault. Lots of stuff on the internet on this if you look. For the original poster, (albeit that it was a while back now) if he had done his research properly, he would have found complaints about lots of issues regarding these turbos. It is the think that makes me slightly wary of the XTrail. Otherwise, a fine car.
Nissan X-trail 2.2dci SVE-Turbo gone - Xileno {P}
I don't think it's a Renault engine. The 2.2dCi in Renaults has a belt driven cam, in the Nissan it's a chain. It simply would not have made sense to modify this when a 2.2 engine could have been lifted steaight from the Renault range to power the X trail.