Renault warranty dispute - redbankuk
Any advice please on my problem :-

My Renault Clio starter motor has failed on 3 occasions (sticky solenoid ?)

My Renault garage can find nothing wrong when they have it.

AA called out twice and eliminated electrical/immobiliser issues - administering a tap with a hammer to get it going.

AA recommend replacement.

Renault wont agree to a replacement under warranty because it doesn't fail when the garage has it
Renault warranty dispute - bimmer-driver
Is it possible to get the AA to write a statement of some sort stating what they think needs doing?
Renault warranty dispute - blue_haddock
How about next time it happens rather than the AA giving the starter a thump they tow your car to the nearest Renault dealer so that they can see the problem firsthand?
The Starter motor saga is now drawing to a close because I left the car at the dealer for a few days and it has now failed for them and Renault will replace it after all under guarantee.

Renault warranty dispute - buzbee
I had one of the very first Cortina's and every now and again the starter motor in that refused work.

I used to lift the bonnet and give it a thump on its case with a biggish spanner.

My best guess was that the cause was the brushes were not in proper contact with the commutator and the bang shook them to make a connection. Whether it was dust under the brushes I do not know. But it worked every time and eventually the problem went away.
Renault warranty dispute - Civic8
>>My best guess was that the cause was the brushes were not in proper contact with the commutator and the bang shook them to make a connection. Whether it was dust under the brushes I do not know. But it worked every time and eventually the problem went away.

it was usualy the case commutator had worn in one place.and if the brush mountings were clogged. they didnt make contact.causing starter not to move..It often on some cars/vans the commutator ended up oval instead of round.Ie if the commutator stopped on worn bit and brushes dont contact.It wont work.slap with hammer dislodged to make contact.though their are limits as to when/how many times you can do this!
--
Steve
Renault warranty dispute - machika
Stupid attitude of the dealer in the first place. All they had to do was check with the AA.

I had a similar saga with a door lock that wouldn't unlock with the remote key fob intermittently. In the end it wouldn't unlock at any time but this didnt occur until the car was out of warranty. It was a good thing that I took it in when it was intermittent, as at least there was a record of the problem occurring.

The question is, why would anyone take a car in to get something replaced that was OK? Surely the inconvenience of having to leave the car at the garage would rule that out.
Renault warranty dispute - BobbyG
I too am in a similar situation. My Scenic has a warning message coming up intermittently but is not registering via the diagnostics etc when they hook it uo. I have now left it with the dealer for a few days to see if the fault shows with them. They have given me a Kangoo courtesy car which I have always wanted to try anyway!

However, looking at it from their side, how can they fix a fault thats not there when they check it? Starter problem I suppose is slightly different, esp if you could get a report from AA etc.

I just wonder how much communication there is between dealers and manufacturers on technical matters? Am I really the first Scenic owner with this problem? Should there not be an on-line history of faults?
If it is a question of an intermittent malfunction, then what your dealer has done is sensible (including providing you with a car). It is not sensible to send a customer away with a vehicle which will retain the same fault, as it could be a fault that leaves someone stranded far from home. It happened to my wife with a Renault Clio, where the immobiliser wouldn't deactivate on at least 3 occasions.

Intermittent faults are quite common, in my experience.
I agree with you in principle but the car had been in to the dealers already for this the previous week with the 1ST AA REPORT.

Bear in mind it had previously failed and I had rocked the car in gear to get it started.

Then when it failed a third time, the AA wrote on their 2ND AA REPORT RECOMMEND REPLACEMENT.

It doesn't say much for the diagnostics if they can't diagnose intermittent problems.

I wonder how many others suffer such problems.

Lastly the dealer could not offer me a replacement car for two weeks, I just had to leave the car there and get home 20 miles away on my own.
Are they not obliged to provide you with a replacement car?
Yes but they didn't have one for two weeks !

Two weeks with a car that cant be relied on to start.

Also the AA can charge if there are an excessive number of call outs !
So a dealer can get away with failing to provide a replacement, simply by not having a car available? Not much incentive to ensure that they do have one available, is it?

Perhaps there ought to be a definite obligation to provide a replacement. Is it not written into warranty agreements? If not, it should be.