Rumble Strips+ Car Radios - Andrew

I've had problems with my car radio- it kept on switching itself off when I was going over the rumble strips up the road. I took it to be repaired and was told it required a bit of soldering. That seemed to cure the problem for a couple of months- then it started playing up again.

Do you think that the vibrations from these rumble strips could have caused the damage to the stereo? Even at a 40mph the car vibrates considerably when I pass over the strips.

P.S. I bought myself a new Panasonic CQ-RDP151N- it was only £90 (normally I worry about buying anything described as "entry level") but the sound quality is exceptional, one hundred times better than on my old "Pony"
Re: Rumble Strips+ Car Radios - Andy
Andrew - I worked in the consumer electronics repair trade for 20 yrs, and I must have done hundreds of ICE items, especially Panasonic. There's no way that the relatively minor vibes caused by rumble strips would cause the soldering to fail, unless:

You spend your life deliberately 'rumbling'

or

The soldering was poor in the first place.

New regulations mean that manufacturers have now started to use 'lead-free' solder (I kid you not!) and there are reports of cruddy joints.
I don't know what the cure is!
Re: Rumble Strips+ Car Radios - ladas are slow
>New regulations mean that manufacturers have now started to use 'lead-free' >solder (I kid you not!) and there are reports of cruddy joints.
>I don't know what the cure is!

i bet this is another EU ruling. i used to use lead welding, but i cant now :-(
Re: Rumble Strips+ Car Radios - Andy Bairsto
lead has been forbidden in solder for over 20 years,
This radio could have a loose joint or an unstable component and should have been exchanged for a new one free of charge.
Re: Rumble Strips+ Car Radios - Derek
Sure, but where would we be without a swipe at 'Brussels', justified or not?
Bump Strips+ Car Radios - David W
Andrew,

My Xantia stereo has a very advanced predictive input device, it decides you wanted a change of channel or perhaps a few minutes on mute after leaving the local town for the open road.

Turns out to be over sensitive contacts in the steering wheel remote buttons that are triggered when you go over the town access/exit speed bumps (at 30 mph).

David
Re: Rumble Strips+ Car Radios - Alwyn
Our Mondeo radio sometimes switches off without warning. It is caused by the removable panel on the front not making proper contact.

Give it a nudge and all is fine again. Could that be your problem?
Re: Rumble Strips+ Car Radios - Andy
Andy B - Are you sure about this? According to my info, manufacturers of electronic equipment in the EU and UK are 'required to phase out lead in solder by 2008, and this decision was taken in the year 2000.
I ran an electronics firm in England in 1990/1/2 and no mention was made of our use of standard 60/40 alloy solder. last time I bought a reel of solder (about 2 years ago) it was standard stuff.
My contacts in the trade tell me that Japanese manufacturers have recently made the change to lead-free, and this has led to intermittent faults caused by poorly-soldered joints.
Re: Rumble Strips+ Car Radios - Alwyn
Unleaded solder is a requirement in the plumbing trade for domestic water pipes but central heating pipes can be soldered with leaded.

Screwfix catalogue has both. Surprise surprise, unleaded is much more expensive.
Re: Rumble Strips+ Car Radios - the real hazza
You're not supposed to drive over rumble strips. They are there to make you aware you're in the wrong place.
Re: Rumble Strips+ Car Radios - Marman
Like those on the appoach to a roundabout or when you are entering a village they are often on the road to slow you down, the slower you go the more you notice them