MG Metro Turbo - BMDUBYA
Browsing Autotrader the other night got me wondering about future classic cars. The most obvious one was a Pug 205 1.9 Gti, but this got me thinking, what about an MG Metro Turbo?? I know all the stigma about being an MG etc etc etc etc, but this
could work in its favour, check out autotrader and you wont find one, either because they have all rotted or been crashed, take this and the fact that they probably didnt make that many into consideration and you could be onto a future classic worth thousands, or just keep for prosperity. What do you all think??? I took a quick poll around the office and many thought I had finally lost it, but that was because firstly its a Metro and Secondly it has the old BL/Rover stigma attached.
All that aside, what do the BR's think, classic or lemon?? Please let me have your thoughts only on the MG Rover and then anything else.
MG Metro Turbo - Pugugly {P}
Don't.
Don't.
Never.
Never.

MG Metro Turbo - blue_haddock
The Pug GTi is already a classic - i know a lot of people in the Peugeot Sport Club who insure them as classics on limited mileage policies.

As for the MG Metro Turbo i don't think it will be classed as a classic, like you say you can no longer get hold of them, most have rotted away by now with the turbo lumps are finding homes in mini's.

There are probably a handful of low mileage perfect condition ones out there amongst collectors but i can't foresee it ever being held in the same esteem as a a 205 GTi or a MK1 Golf GTi
MG Metro Turbo - Wilco {P}
My Dad had one - ages ago! Melted it's gearbox inside 5000 miles. Only 4 speed box, on-off turbo. Nice on boost but well, a Metro, off boost. Can't see it ever making it in the eyes of the enthusiasts if there are any around?
MG Metro Turbo - BazzaBear {P}
The Pug GTi is already a classic - i know a
lot of people in the Peugeot Sport Club who insure them
as classics on limited mileage policies.

I think that's more to do with being over a certain age though, rather than an actual decision as to whether it is a 'classic' car or not.

What would you define as classic? I think I'd go for 'beginning to rise in value rather than depreciate'.
On that qualifier, I don't think the Pug is classic yet. I know they keep their value well, but have they started to appreciate yet?

I see the initial argument - rarity will help in the quest to be classic. But I think being universally hated will hinder much more.
I think that's more to do with being over a certain
age though, rather than an actual decision as to whether it
is a 'classic' car or not.
What would you define as classic? I think I'd go for
'beginning to rise in value rather than depreciate'.
On that qualifier, I don't think the Pug is classic yet.
I know they keep their value well, but have they started
to appreciate yet?

Yes they have - good conditon low milers are now going for up to £5k. www.justgtis.com/forsalepage6.htm

MG Metro Turbo - cheddar
I had an MG Metro Turbo, took it from around 15000 to around 60000 miles, fun, handled well, did trans European journeys with no problem though was a bit buzzy at 85 plus cruise. Only real issue was poor starting between 5 mins and 30 mins after beeing turned off due to heat from turbo causing fuel evaporation.
MG Metro Turbo - Altea Ego
If you can find an original in top class nick in and out, then yes I think it has future "appreciated" state.

MG Metro Turbo - Big Bad Dave
What about it?s bigger brother, the MG Maestro (he said trying not to laugh). I remember seeing one in red at theBirmingham motorshow and thinking how cool it was, but that was when I was a wide-eyed little boy.
MG Metro Turbo - Ex-Moderator
I had an MG Montego.

The talking one.

I have nothing further to add.
A talking one? Perhaps it would like to make a contribution to this thread!
"bing bong, all monitored systems are functioning correctly".
"bing bong, all monitored systems are functioning correctly".

That?s how my dad speaks when he?s on the phone.
MG Metro Turbo - cheddar
I had an MG Montego.
The talking one.
I have nothing further to add.

The talking one, could it be rather condescending, that might explain something ....

;-)
MG Metro Turbo - madf
Out of interest I keep the occasional guide to buyings s/hand cars. Quentin Wilson in 1996-7 wrote in one that the MG Metro Turbo was a car to avoid and in well written paragraph savaged it.

I would never buy a car with rust and mechanical issues : it would appear it had both in spades. Used to see a lot in scrap yards - blown engines and rust. They belong there- not in garages....imo:-)

madf

>>The talking one, could it be rather condescending, that might explain something ....

Yeah right, I learned everything I know about condescension from a Leyland car and I'm going to admit it ? I don't think so.

MG Metro Turbo - cheddar
Yeah right, I learned everything I know about condescension from a
Leyland car and I'm going to admit it ? I don't
think so.

Reckon I learned a thing or two about condensation from the couple of BL cars that I had in the past.
I think I trust the speaking Leyland car more.............
more than what ?

M.

p.s. you didn't wave this morning..... That was you spluttering along with the smokey renault in the middle lane by J10 ??
Bing Bong "It wasnt me I wasnt there"
MG Metro Turbo - cheddar
Bing Bong: Protected NCD does not mean that your policy has to be continued after a total loss.

Sorry!

By the way, the Montego and Maestro could talk, the Metro Turbo, the subject of this thread, did not, though it could whistle nicely above 5000 rpm IIRC.
MG Metro Turbo - Dynamic Dave
What about it?s bigger brother, the MG Maestro

Most ended up in Blackbird Lees (Oxford) after 'Police, Camera, Action' highlighted what fun the joyriders were having with them.
MG Metro Turbo - Cymrogwyllt
Had a metro turbo in the 80's from 12k to 30k. Great fun to drive but if you were not extremely careful you could over rev it. Part exed mine after sending the rev counter 'around the clock'. The new owner had a stack of trouble culminating in a new engine.

For some reason I've not been to that dealer since.
MG Metro Turbo - Cymrogwyllt
p.s. The original clutch was cooked at 12k and the original brake pads lasted 5k according to the service record.
MG Metro Turbo - frazerjp
The last one i saw was on ebay....... without the engine!!!!!!!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
MG Metro Turbo - ihpj
Yes they have - good conditon low milers are now going
for up to £5k. www.justgtis.com/forsalepage6.htm

Just GTis are rip-off merchants IMHO who are way over pricing their PUGs - trying to make a quick buck on the popularity of the model. Yess they do have some good examples - but no where near the price they ask for. Well if people are silly enough to pay those prices, good luck to 'em. I seem to recall something about a 'fool' 'money' 'easily' and 'parted' ;)

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
MG Metro Turbo - WhiteTruckMan
Turbonutterbastich machines.

matching accessories:

bolt through neck, zip up back of head, loose roof (needed holding on with one hand while driving. pre mobile phone, of course)

why not go the whole hog and get a 6R4? I believe they actually shared the windscreen with the metro.

WTM
MG Metro Turbo - Garethj
I would never recommend a Metro, because I just don't have that much hate in me. But if you desperately wanted one, I think the later GTa might be a better drive.

Although if you want to go on a nostalgia hop, so might a Raleigh Grifter
MG Metro Turbo - frazerjp
I read in mag that someone wanted to put a Jag V12 lump in the bonnet of a metro, dont know how it can fit & whether the suspension can put up with it?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
MG Metro Turbo - Orson {P}
I read in mag that someone wanted to put a Jag
V12 lump in the bonnet of a metro, dont know how
it can fit

Ha ha ha! The XJS bonnet is only just large enough for the V12, despite being the length of the Queen Mary. Good luck to him....

Though I understand that with a bit of judicious raising, you can get a Rover V8 into a Midget. 4lb of Vaseline and a shoehorn!

O
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Though I understand that with a bit of judicious raising, you
can get a Rover V8 into a Midget. 4lb of Vaseline
and a shoehorn!

Yeah, and with a lot of spit and even more patience an elephant can de-flower a gnat.

WTM
If you can get a Rover V8 in the front of a mini i can't see why it won't go into a midget
If you can get a Rover V8 in the front of
a mini i can't see why it won't go into a
midget

I've seen a rover v8 in a norton featherbed frame. I cant even get ME into a midget!
MG Metro Turbo - cheddar
Must have been the other way around, someone wanted to put a Metro in the bonnet of a Jag V12 ...
MG Metro Turbo - No Do$h
Judging by some of the more in-duh-vidual efforts of the local chav brigade, I fear it's more likely they wish to put the bonnet of a Jag on a Metro.