Update on the Maestro - alvin booth
with reference to my earlier plea for help this morning I took it down to Harrison Auto Electrical Service at Etwall Derbyshire this morning.
You were almost all correct and they quickly tested and confirmed the alternator had gone.
They quoted £67.00 less 25% for the alternator. Asked if I wanted them to fit it or them. I looked at the weather,icy cold and blowing and said you please.
They fitted it, tested it out and the total bill was £87.24 inc vat.
Very impressed with them and they repeated david lacey's comment about it being common with these models.
Incidentally it was a brand new one they fitted. I asked why they didn't recondition them themselves as they have a well fitted workshop, and the answer was that for the cheaper alternators it wasn't economical as they could buy them in cheaper.
Alvin
Update on the Maestro - David Lacey
Nice to hear some positive (geddit??) feedback, Alvin

Rgds

David
Re: Update on the Maestro - Andrew
You could have changed the diode pack for a guess £20?
Update on the Maestro - David Lacey
Change the diode pack on a cold day like today when Alvin could be in the pub downing another beer sat by a roaring fire?

I think not!

I'd rather pay for a new/recon unit and have a 24 month warranty.

Rgds

David
Re: Update on the Maestro - ian (cape town)
Glad you got sorted, Alvin.
My Astra's went a few months ago - fortunately it was changed under warranty, but was still off the road for a few days as they waited for parts to come in. (some weird alternator, which was only used on one locally-made version of the astra).
I think David has a point, though. I enjoy tinkering about with cars, but occasionally, I couldn't be bothered, or I'm too busy with other stuff, and I'll pay for the job to be done.
(By bitter experiance, there are always jobs which SHOULD take 1/2 an hour, and have a one-spanner rating in Haynes, which take me half a weekend! The man-in-the-know can normally do it in the time it takes to write this!)
Re: Update on the Maestro - ian (cape town)
Glad you got sorted, Alvin.
My Astra's went a few months ago - fortunately it was changed under warranty, but was still off the road for a few days as they waited for parts to come in. (some weird alternator, which was only used on one locally-made version of the astra).
I think David has a point, though. I enjoy tinkering about with cars, but occasionally, I couldn't be bothered, or I'm too busy with other stuff, and I'll pay for the job to be done.
(By bitter experiance, there are always jobs which SHOULD take 1/2 an hour, and have a one-spanner rating in Haynes, which take me half a weekend! The man-in-the-know can normally do it in the time it takes to write this!)