I have to buy a car for my job - jw edinburgh
I am changing jobs and will no longer be provided with a company car. I will need to provide my own car, and expect to cover about 30K-35K per year. Can anyone advise me as to the best way to source and finance a reliable medium sized (eg Mondeo) car. I cannot afford to buy one for cash.

Where is the best place to obtain independent advice? Any help welcome.

I have to buy a car for my job - VTiredeyes
Hi JW
i was in exactly the same position as you 1 year 4 months ago.
had company cars for 8 years.
best way.
get loan for £10K or less, mondeo is best for that price.
loads of car for the money.

is work paying you a set amount of money every month?
how much you getting for fuel? i get 18ppm
you can claim from tax man for business mileage every 1st? or 4th of april for the previous year. just send a letter to your tax office,(ask your employer for details)
and they might send you a cheque or send you a self cert form for your mileage.
you get the difference between (say) 18ppm for the first 10K miles and 25ppm after. so i did 47K business miles, i can claim back 22ppm for the first 10K miles and 7ppm for the last 37K miles.

also ask your old work to send you a letter stating you have 4?5? years no claims and not been involved in an accident.
esure will allow you 5 years no cliams for your ins policy.
if you can stretch to 12K over 4 years, get a n newish 54 plate.

DONT do what i did and change your mind every month. i have had 13 different cars in 16 months. bad... bad.... bad decision !
but fun!
look in www.autotrader.co.uk (using the link to the left) if you go private, get it rac/aa checked. and haggle a bargin !
or a car supermarket, but DONT get an import, unless you are going to keep it 4-5 years and run into the ground.
where do you live roughly ? i can send u some links for car supermarkets or go here
www.findacarsupermarket.co.uk/
all IMHO.
:-)
I have to buy a car for my job - VTiredeyes
any of that lot help?
I have to buy a car for my job - jw edinburgh
Sorry for the delay in replying - been away for a few days.

Still negotiating how much they will give me, probably will be the standard IR figure. Fuel will be paid, but I have to pay private miles fuel at 9p per mile.

I have driven Mondeos for some years, so should be ok, or might try C max/Focus and get a bit better spec for my money.

Will car supermarkets be willing to tell me if a car is an import - how can I tell? Might be willing to pay a bit more and deal with a local dealer so there is someone I can hold responsible if the car turns out to be a dud.

I live near Edinburgh, so not sure of nearest supersite.

Thanks for your help, all good stuff.
I have to buy a car for my job - LongDriver {P}
Nip along the M8 and M74 (top end) to Motorpoint in Glasgow.

www.motorpoint.co.uk

you will also find a big Arnold Clark site, a Carland(?) and a few others nearby.