mk3 Mondeo second remote fob - J500ANT
Of course as Ford are cheapskates you only get one remote key, and the other you have to mess around with the door lock and start the engine or the horn goes beepy beepy!

Anyone know whether I can just get another similar key (ie from a scrap car or something), nick the remote bit and reprogramme it to work the central locking? Not worried about using the spare to start it etc, but my grandad doesnt understand that I have to start the engine before he can open the passenger door.................

I'm sure if I get one from Ford it's going to cost a couple of limbs inc the programming etc.

Cheers in advance.

Tony
mk3 Mondeo second remote fob - NARU
Of course as Ford are cheapskates you only get one remote
key, and the other you have to mess around with the
door lock and start the engine or the horn goes beepy
beepy!

This is because the microswitches in the drivers door have failed.

Anyone know whether I can just get another similar key
(ie from a scrap car or something), nick the remote bit
and reprogramme it to work the central locking? Not worried about
using the spare to start it etc, but my grandad doesnt
understand that I have to start the engine before he can
open the passenger door.................

So open the passenger door first!
I'm sure if I get one from Ford it's going to
cost a couple of limbs inc the programming etc.

Visit Mirez' site - you need to run a full test on the alarm and it'll tell you which switches have gone.

www.mirez.co.uk/AlarmProbs.htm
mk3 Mondeo second remote fob - elekie&a/c doctor
Provided you have at least 2 current working keys (remote or not),it is possible to programme in a new key yourself.Look through the drivers handbook & you will find full process to follow.New key blade & remote about £40.
Marlot.

I dont think there are any switches gone. We test drove 3 different Mondeo's and it was mentioned by 2 of the dealers who for some reason were using the "manual" key (we bought off the 3rd dealer)

I was told that the Mondeo has a thing where, if you unlock it using the key manually in the door handle you get a certain time to start the engine, else the alarm goes off. Its designed to stop theiving chav ripping the handle off the door and gaining entry. Hence if another door is opened whilst you're between door lock and ignition it sets the alarm off straight away.

Can anyone else confirm this on their Mondeo?

Tony
mk3 Mondeo second remote fob - kithmo
Mine's a 2001 model and it doesn't set the alarm off when I open it manually or open another door without starting the engine. Maybe it's just the later ones or as mentioned above you could have a faulty alarm.
mk3 Mondeo second remote fob - cheddar
2000 on Mondeos: With the spare key you can open the door, operate the central locking and start the engine with no problems, the only difference is that it is not remote.
Maybe the "switching the engine on or the alarm goes off" thing is only on models with the standard alarm.

Odd though.

Tony
mk3 Mondeo second remote fob - oldpostie
Mine is a 2003 model, and if I open the door with the non-remote key it starts bleeping then the alarm sounds. The handbook says you have to move the key to position II but mine only stops the alarm if I start the engine. Same applies to a friend's 2004 model.
The handbook is not very clear which model that particular instruction refers to.
mk3 Mondeo second remote fob - cheddar
Mine is a 2003 model, and if I open the door
with the non-remote key it starts bleeping then the alarm sounds.
The handbook says you have to move the key to position
II but mine only stops the alarm if I start the
engine. Same applies to a friend's 2004 model.
The handbook is not very clear which model that particular instruction
refers to.

Not so my 2002 Ghia X which has std alarm, I wonder if the 00 - 02 models have a transponder to recieve the spare key in the door where on the 03 on models it is in the ignition barrel only?