paint protection - richard price
I am shortly to take delivery of a new car. I will stay well clear of car washes with brushes, advice please on what car polishes to use. Many thanks and a merry christmas.
Re: paint protection - Tony Coote
Hi Richard, I have tried most polishes and I would recommend AUTOGLM. Use their polish first, and then their Resin Protector on top. It really does help shift dirt when it comes to washing alot can just be rinsed off.
By the way I am Nothing to do with the trade !
Tony.
Re: paint protection - Nicholas Moore
I couldn't agree more. Use 2 or 3 coats of Extra gloss after the polish, although getting any polish on a car is going to be hard in the snow.

The polish is called Super Resin Polish
The gloss is called Extra Gloss Protection
Re: paint protection - PhiL P
I highly recommend Mer, which can be picked up from Halfords.

It was originally recommended to me by an RAC engineer who was inspecting my car and raved about how effective it was on his Honda Blackbird, and it certainly does the business!
Re: paint protection - KB
I'd go along entirely with Tony and Nicholas. Easy to apply too. (But not in very hot/cold weather).
Re: paint protection - markymarkn
Mer is my recommendation,

although if you wanna spend ther money, go for zymol www.zymol.com
Re: paint protection - Dwight Van-Driver
Used both Mer and Auto Glym and the later ( treatment as described above) gets my recommendation.
Only once had the luxury of buying brand new years ago (never again) I was told that for the first few washes you only used clean water to harden the paint surface off. Presume from the advice above we have moved on????
Re: paint protection - Peter M.
I can strongly recommend Mer - have used it for about 12 years (a hot wax wash-2 capfulls to a gallon- every week or so and polish every few months.) Much cheaper direct from the main distributors, address on container.
P.
Re: paint protection - Julian Lindley
Agree the Autoglym and supporting resin protector for metallic finishes in particular. This is also the veiw of HJ.

Mer is excellent for non metallic finishes. The logic re Autoglym is that Autglym minimises polish dust on the metallic finish which can be a problem.

Regards,

Julian.
Re: paint protection - Keith
I use the 2 capfulls of mer in the water for my metallic silver car. The water beads very nicely and the mer leaves no residue. I also dont get wax ingrained in any of the plastic or rubber trim doing it this way.
Re: paint protection - Honest John
I use Mer for cutting dirt and oxidation out of solid finishes. But for a newish car I'd go the Autoglym Super Resin followed by Extra Gloss route, on a warm, dry day. (Extra Gloss needs an hour before polishing off.)

HJ
Re: paint protection - Nipsy
Autoglym as described seems best on any laquered paint finish. It has minimal abrasive. I also use it in the same combination on alloy wheels - works a treat and hoses off with little effort.