C220cdi Classic value? - cdbr
I am in the market for a new car and have been offered my friends ex-company car and need to decide on it quickish. The car fits the bill in terms of what I want but I want to minimise depreciation.

It is a June (02) C220 cdi Classic, Auto, Alloys, Leather Wheel & gear knob. Silver with light grey cloth interior, 35,000 miles. FSH, second service at 32,000, new front tyres. It has been garaged from new and is immaculate, I have seen him keep it since new.

What is a reasonable price - looking at the Merc website it the average price of the same car is £16-£17k.

Any thoughts, things to be cautious about?
C220cdi Classic value? - chris_w
When you say ex-company car, does that mean it was leased, or he has been given an allowance and bought it himself?

If it is leased, the leasing company will know exactly how much they want for it, as all of their calculations for monthly charges are based on the expected future value of the car. Has your friend not been given these details?

My father has had numerous company cars and has not ever been tempted to buy one as generally they have been over priced - however, the last one he got offered was back in 2000 so times may have changed.

I often use www.lexfreechoice.co.uk and their online quote to have a look at how much ex-lease cars are worth in the leasing company's eyes... may be useful or not to you.
They buy the cars for cash (large company) and pay their own maintenance.

Which part of the site do you use? Have just rung them and they send all ex lease cars to BCA?
C220cdi Classic value? - chris_w
Sorry what I meant is that if you use the online quote, look at the new cars and look at the figures there - you can see what a brand new car will be worth according to them after the specified period... does this make sense?

Thanks, will try it.

Completely different, rang a local auction centre who put alot of Mercs through to enquire what similar cars they have going through. Though I might pop down and see if they sold under the hammer, they descibed a few that they had and also gave me the CAP clean value at the same time. As it turns out the trade clean value is the same as what I am paying so feel more comfortable about it now.
C220cdi Classic value? - DavidHM
Mind if I ask what you're paying?

I wouldn't go above £13k - any more than that and I'd be on Auctionview and chasing it down to the auction when it came through.