Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - matstro
If a cars had a smoking owner, can you eliminate the smell completely? We looked at one today, the dealer said he's bought a new machine from the US on the internet that gets rid of the odour totally...........

Our current vehicle still stinks after a year despite thorough valeting.

Any views?

(I've nothing against smokers btw, I just don't like the smell!)
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - ihpj
I suppose its a question of how 'old' is the car? I mean if it is < 3 years old and it's done 50k miles then you can bet the driver smoked in it a lot? Thus perhaps making the odour more 'entrenched' into the car.

And I guess how sensitive your nose is to the odour? I am not a smoker and have never bought a smoker's vehicle. Sounds like you like the car and aren't sure if it's worth making the compromise?

The other thing to do would be to quiz the dealer more on the machine and then do an internet search on it/visit the manufacturer's website etc. to see how effective the machine is - course I'm not saying that the Dealer isn't telling you the truth ;)
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - Rishab C
White spirit vinegar is good, especially if used with a shampooer machine. The vinega decomposes in air to odourless compounds which dissipate after a day or so.
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - Stuartli
Try Neutradol or one of the recently introduced clones of the product from Dettol and others. It kills odours rather than masking them like air fresheners.

You should then be able to clean the headlining etc with a proprietary stain remover/cleaner in aerosol form.

If you have air-conditioning, also spray the interior of the car with Neutradol and then leave the A/C running in recirculary mode with all the doors shot and the engine running; this will kill smells and germs generated by/in the A/C system and should be done about once a month.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - Happy Blue!
Many years ago i bought a Cortina Mk V which was about 4 years old, 72,000miles but the driver had been a heavy smoker. However, as the car was only £250 and in A1 condition it was worth it.

I stripped the interior of seats and carpet, replaced the carpet with new and had the seats reupholstered. The internal trims were removed (e.g. door trims) and washed thoroughly and the headlining was givena good scrub in situ.

When it was all put back together (it fitted and no spare screws!) it smelled fine, but if I left the car for a few days and then got back in it still smelt of smoke, even two years after we did the job and constant cleaning in between.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - Andrew-T
I think you are right, Espada, tho I am surprised that your extreme treatment still didn't work. We have owned wife's Clio for nearly 2½ years now, and all our (relatively gentle) efforts haven't fully removed the smell.
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - Imagos
Try Febreze. Totally drown the interior, seat facings, back of seats, headrests, carpets, and in particular the roof linings.

Do not use sparingly! then leave for a few hours with windows shut.
>>Try Febreze>>

Neutradol is superior to Febreze. In any case, Lidl sells the equivalent of Febreze, if anyone is interested, for about half the price and in a larger capacity spray bottle....:-)
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - Imagos
>>Try Febreze>>
Neutradol is superior to Febreze.

ah! but does it have the fresh summer meadow smell?
>>ah! but does it have the fresh summer meadow smell?>>

There are a number from which to choose. Read all about the product and its handy variants at:

www.msg.co.uk/uk/
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - budu
A cheap remedy I read about but haven't tried (don't have the need): Put a washing up bowl of fresh lawn clippings in the boot, stir it from time to time and replace the contents when you cut the lawn. Air fresheners will work for a bit. Otherwise, there is a commercial call-out service using fogging machines but I don't know what it is called.
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - Dynamic Dave
Some useful suggestions *might* also be found in this thread-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=17776
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - Altea Ego
Carry a wet labrador around in the car.
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - Ex-Moderator
I don't think you will get rid of it totally.

Most things that you try will only overlay the smell and as they weaken then the smokers smell will come back. So even if you can't detect the smoke, you're destined to a life of toxic air fresheners !!

About the only thing I can suggest, and I'm sure it would not be cheap, is to contact a company involved in crime scene cleaning. Not for them to do the job, but to ask them what products they use.

Probably the car is not worth the effort.
>>Probably the car is not worth the effort.>>

That's categorised matstro's pride and joy then...:-)
Smoking in cars. Ridding the smell - Ex-Moderator
I didn't mean that !!

I meant that whatever the new car is, I am sure that another example of what is undoubtedly a splendid vehicle might be a more advisable choice.

sheeesh !! 8-)